He looked back on the past,
To all those years so far behind,
Back to those distant memories of dreams he'd one day find.
He reached back to the past,
To where the future still seemed bright,
Back to those long lost fantasies that all would be alright.
He knows back in the past,
In those young and simple days,
That if all had been much clearer they could have changed their ways.
He thought back in the past,
In that one-time family home,
That all would be so perfect even though they had to roam.
He screams back at the past,
For all the hell he has been through,
The hardships he has suffered far from all that he once knew.
He smiles back at the past,
For all the years that have since passed,
The bad times he survived and the good not soon surpassed.
He turns back from the past,
To this life he has since built,
This state of mind he lives in free from pain and without guilt.
He walks back from the past,
To this place where he touched ground,
This land of new beginnings where true happiness was found.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Trivia by Arik Fletcher )
- Open the door to me, oh, Robert Burns
- Ballad on Mr. Heron's Election—No. 4, Robert Burns
- Poem on Sensibility, Robert Burns
- Epigram—The True Loyal Natives, Robert Burns
- Epitaph on John Dove, Innkeeper, Robert Burns
- The Nameless Mood of a Home-Maker, Ananta Madhavan
- Life through a colleague's eyes, Jeremy Horsford
- The Vision, Robert Burns
- Little Girl's Talk - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- The Singer, Clara Keiper
Poem of the Day
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Lover's Complaint, William Shakespeare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)