Trying to Remember
Memories of distant past
Often remain vivid in mind
Happenings of recent past
Get mixed up and turn vague.
While in school father taught me
How to form a sentence
‘We eat to live’ he said
And ‘not, ’ ‘we live to eat’
We laughed and laughed
Learning was excting
I follow the dictum
Whenever I write.
What did I have for breakfast?
Mind goes blank
Is it an effect of the age?
Is it normal at this stage?
I’m not an expert on
How memory works
Maybe brain’s a reservoir
Streams of perception flow in
Amount flowing out depends
On the gate opening used.
To keep mentally active
Play sudoku daily
Placing numbers in a grid
Or the laddered kakuro
Breaking sums into partitions
Or game of all operations
In a simple block of ken ken
And some meditation
Keeping thoughts away
Whatever form it may be
Let brain have some fun.
Tirupathi Chandrupatla's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Trying to Remember by Tirupathi Chandrupatla )
Did you read them?
- A jumping bean, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A bean, Harold R Hunt Sr
- There are heroes, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Love counts the hours, Mark Heathcote
- My Deck, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A trip to rotgut, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A recipe for a poem, Harold R Hunt Sr
- America will be back, Harold R Hunt Sr
- I will not be taken down., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Will the crowd cheer, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)