' ' ' UNDER A HEAD OF CABBAGE(Tanka)
My cries thrown to the skies
that witness birth of baby
in this barren field.
Seagulls mimicing my screams
as they turn into: HEADLINES.
This was the infamous KERRY BABY case in which a young girl gave birth in a field after successfully hiding her pregnancy. This was the Holy Ireland of then where the arrogance of ignorance was greater than compassion and understanding.
Dónall Dempsey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (' ' ' UNDER A HEAD OF CABBAGE(Tanka) by Dónall Dempsey )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Angel Feather, The Mowjo