When I called you in your garden
Mango blooms were rich in fragrance -
Why did you remain so distant,
Keep your doors so tightly fastened?
Blossoms grew to ripe fruit-clusters -
Your rejected my cuppded handfuls,
Closed your eyes to perfectness.
In the fierce harsh storms of Baisakh,
Golden ripened fruit fell tumbling.
'Dust, I said, 'defiles such offerings:
Let your hands be heaven to them.'
Still you showed no friendliness.
Lampless were your doors at evening,
Pitch-black as I played my vina.
How the starlight twanged my heartstrings!
How I set my vina dancing!
You showed no responsiveness.
Sad birds twittered sleeplessly,
Calling, calling lost companions.
Gone the right time for our union -
Low the moon while still you brooded,
Sunk in lonely pensiveness.
Who can understand another!
Heart cannot restrain its passion.
I had hoped that some remaining
Tear-soaked memories would sway you,
Stir your feet to lightsomeness.
Moon fell at the feet of morning,
Loosened from the night's fading necklace.
While you slept, O did my Vina
Lull you with its heartache? Did you
Dream at least of happiness?
Rabindranath Tagore's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Unyielding by Rabindranath Tagore )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Michael P. McParland
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Home They Brought Her Warrior Dead, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fear No More, William Shakespeare
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Christmas Day In the Workhouse, George Robert Sims
- The Tiger, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- Nostalgia, Lawrence Beck
- Evening Song, Sherwood Anderson
- Gentle Golden Light, Margaret Alice Second
- What is I want under the destinies ten.., Yuri Starostin
- Lonely Road, Alexander Onoja
- Happy Birthday Lord, Ron Baratono
- I Truly Do, Michael P. McParland
- I Still Love You, Michael P. McParland
- I Pray For You, Michael P. McParland
- Pangarap, Jesus James Llorico