Her husband is dead.
Tragic or pleasing news!
That too in a car accident.
She was my love five decades back.
Our sojourn was a month
In her village where I chanced to stay.
Loveliness and gracefulness
Combined, she was a lotus.
No wonder, I loved her.
It is wonder, she loved me.
She loved me more
Than I loved her, the poor.
Her love was pure and genuine.
My love was daring and fast.
Our eyes crossed and then talked.
Our lips talked and then touched.
It is the virgin love for the both.
She sanctioned my visit once
To her house and to the room
Where we were closeted.
She believed me to such extent
That she conceded to be undraped
And surrendered to my trust.
Too tender in age, I deserted her.
It took three decade for me
To trace her and meet her.
Then she was not a lotus
But reminded me of a cactus,
Aging being prominent.
Now she is a widow.
I am not a widower.
Otherwise, I would have wiped
The sin I committed to her.
Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.'s Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Visalakshi by Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar. )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
Emmanuel George Cefai
(12th March 1955)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Russell Edson
(22 March 1941 -)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes, Billy Collins
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Dear Dad ..... [a PARODY; HUMOR; SHORT; .., Bri Edwards
- Just Sex..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- It's Not About Science, Just Satellites..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Woman And Time..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Firmament, Margaret Ann Newcomb
- Petits morceaux, Lubinda Lubinda
- For Edgar Allan Poe With All Gratitude..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- It Takes Tears to..., Rodney R. Cooper
- It Takes Tears, Rodney R. Cooper
- My life, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken