George Pope Morris
To know a man well, it is said, Walter Gay,
On shipboard with him you should be:
If this maxim's true, then well I know you,
For we sailed together the sea, Walter Gay,
For we sailed together the sea.
I now watch the star from the strand, Walter Gay,
As oft from the surge I did then:
Like that all alone you sparkled and shone,
The clear northern star among men, Walter Gay,
The clear northern star among men!
May your future course, like the past, Walter Gay,
From wreck and misfortune be free:
your sorrows and care fade into the air,
Or vanish like foam on the sea, Walter Gay,
Or vanish like foam on the sea!
The friendship that's formed on the wave, Walter Gay,
Is deeper than plummet may sound:
That can not decay till we lose our way,
Or death runs the vessel aground, Walter Gay,
Or death runs the vessel aground!
When life's voyage ends, may your bark, Walter Gay
Spread sail like the wings of a dove--
And, when lulls the wind, safe anchorage find
Within the good harbor above, Walter Gay,
Within the good harbor above!
George Pope Morris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Walter Gay. by George Pope Morris )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Affinity with truth for all times, gajanan mishra
- Affinity with truth, gajanan mishra
- To the dodo, Hrishikesh Bharadwaj
- what are you for me, Lalit Kaira
- The elephant in the refrigerator, Diana Rosser
- Hilton at Milton,, lee fones
- In a time without time!, Adriana Istrefi
- In Praise of Nobility (Twenty-Five), Rubaba Mmahajia Rahma Sabtiu
- In Praise of Nobility (Twenty-Four), Rubaba Mmahajia Rahma Sabtiu
- Truth Lies - Kids Stuff -how2builddefenc.., sEaN nOrTh