War Thou ain't Beautiful
Dreaming streams changing shadows and rainbows
On the surface painted, like all streams coming
To a standstill. Like all beauty gathered in the hands'
Risen in prayer. War thou ain't beautiful.
Thine ominous gaze and tongue of fire leapt
A fire breathing dragon, or the evil angels held by
Their tongues. Hanging in the well of hell.
Thine frail and feeble hand, O! Beauty though
Fought. With thine thin line, defeating doubts,
O! Beauty, you held. Either three thousand years loose,
Or a thousand year of war. From the ferocious eyes,
So sudden was a change of heart, from
"A Forgotten Song" to "Love in War",
My subconscious, still believes that war is bravery.
Valor. But war is deceit, misery, with its ugly face.
A doubt like the old lady to Farhad
Was like who owns and place the epitaph
On the master's work, though by itself an idea.
Even then, had it not been for the beauty's relentless
Effort, belief, and strength, it would have been
In flames. But that is not nature's doing.
Then will come the doomsday. The end of the world.
I remember you holding to the last icon, in onslaught
You still fought for my name, embroidered
As the last remnant in this battle of blood and sweat.
I let it, and may be from there you were the winner.
Sadiqullah Khan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Photograph by Alex Bykov @ stockvault
Comments about this poem (War Thou ain't Beautiful by Sadiqullah Khan )
- Limerick.21. An Advice, Valsa George
- You are welcome, my dear Mother, gajanan mishra
- Not all you get, hasmukh amathalal
- Limerick.20. Snoring, Valsa George
- Towards my dreams, Framarz Bagheri
- love, jaquesha webb
- Naughty Two 14, Framarz Bagheri
- Waiting For My Friend, Tony Adah
- With plan, hasmukh amathalal
- rotating, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)