Mary Agnes Dalrymple
has not entered the house yet.
I pack framed photographs:
dead uncles, and grandparents,
set aside ceramic eggs,
balanced on wooden stands,
to reach the wedding cake couple,
equidistant between two photographs.
in her borrowed wedding dress,
holding a bouquet of artificial flowers,
whiter than Aunt Rose Mary's silk skirt.
in his Navy uniform, bearing
the insignia of a Water Tender,
his cap worn tilted to the right.
the wedding cake couple
represents their union.
Flesh colored paint overlaps
the neckline of the bride,
executed too quickly.
The groom's black top-hat
is worn, a wedding ring shape
encircles the edge of the crown.
My mother is dead,
my father has remarried. He's left
behind the photographs, the eggs,
the wedding cake couple.
The river enters an open door.
I salvage what I can.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Water Tender by Mary Agnes Dalrymple )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Gun, Rage'n Curtis
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- The Choice, Edith Nesbit
Poem of the Day
- My First Poem, Emelita C. Smith
- diMinNuTiVe, sEaN nOrTh
- I Am A Boat, Paul Gerard Reed
- Peace#01, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- hav em kill - BIG Chief di$bEliEf, sEaN nOrTh
- We Ate Beans., Tony Adah
- Letting Go, favour ugwumba
- Paw, saw, raw, law!, Edward Kofi Louis
- नोँखौ मोजां मोन्नायल' नङा, Ronjoy Brahma
- - Μαέστρος, Giorgio A. V.