“WE DON’T SMILE IN HERE”
I think this is a sad fact
that you are not suppose to smile
to be happy or to laugh.
Even for mug shots they want
you to look bad—
“Don’t smile and look like a criminal?
Does that make inmate feel glad? ”
Why should jail be a place of gloom?
I know they don’t want you to come back
but I feel that is something that they “all assume”.
Most inmates feel their name has been ruined
even before you get out your mug shot is up real soon.
Public records “They do say”
Well, I think that is like slander, gossip and mug shots
should Not have their day.
Not at least for inmates who are not a harm to everyone
this can ruin their image and make you hide from the sun.
Getting back to “They don’t want you to come back”
but it seems jail makes you feel less than, be defensive
and feel like a criminal on the attack.
So your heart gets hardened when you are treated this way
I think we should think
how we run our jails this very present day.
Suzanna Chevalier's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (“WE DON’T SMILE IN HERE” by Suzanna Chevalier )
- I am complete in your arms.., Manish Guru
- She, Akhtar Jawad
- Lunch, anthony henriques
- A thoughtless god, Solomon Marshall
- Mukkamal Hoon tumhare Daman mein, Manish Guru
- The Stroke of one person who lie, clawdea benat
- The love which endures the pains is too .., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- < He >, Aparna Chatterjee
- Never Losing Sight, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Collectively Protecting America, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Would Live In Your Love, Sara Teasdale
- November, Thomas Hood
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Flower of Love, Oscar Wilde
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)