“WE DON’T SMILE IN HERE”
I think this is a sad fact
that you are not suppose to smile
to be happy or to laugh.
Even for mug shots they want
you to look bad—
“Don’t smile and look like a criminal?
Does that make inmate feel glad? ”
Why should jail be a place of gloom?
I know they don’t want you to come back
but I feel that is something that they “all assume”.
Most inmates feel their name has been ruined
even before you get out your mug shot is up real soon.
Public records “They do say”
Well, I think that is like slander, gossip and mug shots
should Not have their day.
Not at least for inmates who are not a harm to everyone
this can ruin their image and make you hide from the sun.
Getting back to “They don’t want you to come back”
but it seems jail makes you feel less than, be defensive
and feel like a criminal on the attack.
So your heart gets hardened when you are treated this way
I think we should think
how we run our jails this very present day.
Suzanna Chevalier's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (“WE DON’T SMILE IN HERE” by Suzanna Chevalier )
- Post-postmodern Love, Md. Ziaul Haque
- To You... My Precious being, Niken Kusuma Wardani
- Who can Love You More than Me?, Md. Ziaul Haque
- You have Made Me Yours, Md. Ziaul Haque
- हाबाब सना, हाबाब मैना, Ronjoy Brahma
- When I will not be Here…, Md. Ziaul Haque
- I VISIT MYSELF, ROCHISH MON
- Water Can Speak!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- The Eye-Catcher, Naveed Khalid
- It's Shakespeare [Sheikspeare] not Sexpe.., Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stars, Joyce Kilmer
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)