Suzanna C Chevalier
'We Don't Smile In Here'
I think this is a sad fact
that you are not suppose to smile
to be happy or to laugh.
Even for mug shots they want
you to look bad—
“Don’t smile and look like a criminal?
Does that make inmate feel glad? ”
Why should jail be a place of gloom?
I know they don’t want you to come back
but I feel that is something that they “all assume”.
Most inmates feel their name has been ruined
even before you get out your mug shot is up real soon.
Public records “They do say”
Well, I think that is like slander, gossip and mug shots
should Not have their day.
Not at least for inmates who are not a harm to everyone
this can ruin their image and make you hide from the sun.
Getting back to “They don’t want you to come back”
but it seems jail makes you feel less than, be defensive
and feel like a criminal on the attack.
So your heart gets hardened when you are treated this way
I think we should think
how we run our jails this very present day.
Suzanna C Chevalier's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem ('We Don't Smile In Here' by Suzanna C Chevalier )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Comforts in the dark, Mark Heathcote
- Million Billion Dollar Elite Divorce Cou.., Terence G. Craddock
- Prophet, Nassy Fesharaki
- Think of no dark, hasmukh amathalal
- Paper and Scissors, Kevin Patrick
- Feel equally, hasmukh amathalal
- Long time friend, Angel A. Lockwood
- Slaves Into A New World Order, Terence G. Craddock
- Magritte and This Morning Bewick's Wren, W.M. Rivera
- I Wish You Well, Midnights Voice