What Am I?
So I sat down and thought
Trying to ignore the knot
Which was trying to strangle
Me.No! It's an emotion.
(I mean I'm not tying
A rope around my neck.) Crying,
That I am...Confused.
What am I? Sun or Moon?
You told I was your firefly...
Left me puzzled. Why?
Sun gives life.
But who sees him? Too bright,
Too hot. Creator and destroyer
And sustainer... Holy Trinity!
All within him.
I am mortal (no Sun) . Thank you.
Moon is closer. Borrowed silver
Cloak and a body marred with craters.
I know why he glows his fullest
Once a month (unless he wants to go blue) .
RIDICULE! He's eaten up by ridicule-
Lighting the darkest hours of night
And yet knowing (and hearing) what he gives
Is nothing but stolen light from the Sun.
How would you feel if you knew
That the very best in you
Was not quite yours...More of reflected glory?
Now, now. I am not that bad.
Maybe, I am the firefly-
Meek glow; I know there are better
Others than me who can shower light.
They can light up all they want;
Why would I care? You must stay.
I hate being Moon.
I want to be ME!
Don't want to play Sun.
I don't just want to see
And give warmth...
I want them back too
(Remember? I'm mortal!)
Firefly's fine. I can touch
And be touched. No need to feel lonely.
Now that my eyes are relatively dry
And the knot somewhat loosened.
I'll be off and away.
To attend to the more mundane things in life.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What Am I? by Sajesh Vijayan )
- With nature, hasmukh amathalal
- Owl, kassem oude
- No ordinary, hasmukh amathalal
- Coal - your turn, gajanan mishra
- Bluff-masters As Contemporary Indian Eng.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- There Will Always Be Another Poem, Shalom Freedman
- This Is My Bungalow, This Is My Car, Thi.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- f' my life i hate this place, shannon strauss
- Pulmonary Hypertension, Strydar Enox
- Depths Unknown, Lawrence S. Pertillar