What Am I?
So I sat down and thought
Trying to ignore the knot
Which was trying to strangle
Me.No! It's an emotion.
(I mean I'm not tying
A rope around my neck.) Crying,
That I am...Confused.
What am I? Sun or Moon?
You told I was your firefly...
Left me puzzled. Why?
Sun gives life.
But who sees him? Too bright,
Too hot. Creator and destroyer
And sustainer... Holy Trinity!
All within him.
I am mortal (no Sun) . Thank you.
Moon is closer. Borrowed silver
Cloak and a body marred with craters.
I know why he glows his fullest
Once a month (unless he wants to go blue) .
RIDICULE! He's eaten up by ridicule-
Lighting the darkest hours of night
And yet knowing (and hearing) what he gives
Is nothing but stolen light from the Sun.
How would you feel if you knew
That the very best in you
Was not quite yours...More of reflected glory?
Now, now. I am not that bad.
Maybe, I am the firefly-
Meek glow; I know there are better
Others than me who can shower light.
They can light up all they want;
Why would I care? You must stay.
I hate being Moon.
I want to be ME!
Don't want to play Sun.
I don't just want to see
And give warmth...
I want them back too
(Remember? I'm mortal!)
Firefly's fine. I can touch
And be touched. No need to feel lonely.
Now that my eyes are relatively dry
And the knot somewhat loosened.
I'll be off and away.
To attend to the more mundane things in life.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What Am I? by Sajesh Vijayan )
- Will You Read My Poem, Sir?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Repair a net, Trong Phan
- Jayanta Mahahpatra As An Image-maker, A .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- hindi haiku ghazal chaand, S.D. TIWARI
- Who Really Cares? Does Anything Matter?, Mr. Nobody
- Jashn manaao, Aftab Alam
- Poetry Is Where You Find It X, Frank Avon
- Happiness Is..., Arno Le Roux
- I Never Travelled Alone, Akhtar Jawad
- Wholesomeness To Thirst, Lawrence S. Pertillar
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)