What Do They Know?
They tell me my poetry lacks classicism.
This is for that eternally ambiguous "they."
Tonight in the heat
A green haiku is sprung new
What a kitsch art style
Tercets are difficult in any but Latin
So like Poe I'll turn Eden into Aiden and quatrain into quattrin
You thought only Dante could write in words of pure satin?
Speaking of, quatrains and types of verse-
Let us take a minute to converse
About types in this style, epic or pentameter
And therein know art so that we might greet her.
Yes, that just happened, forgive the meme.
But quatrains end in couplets about love and redemption extreme.
Forget the couplet I can keep going in an effort to glean
And remember this, truth form the dishonestly obscene.
Aye, that eternally ambiguous body of readers wants classicism
Look backwards; enjoy the art and more than that-
Enjoy the view of the dead.
Whitman set the stage,
It's not my fault if there is no place on it for you.
Daniel Northcutt's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What Do They Know? by Daniel Northcutt )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- limericks section (more to be added) fi.., lee fones
- Because of my dream, Alex Adeoye
- O CRUEL AGGRESSORS! YOU CAN NOT BEND OR .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Puddles Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE MORE THAN WHAT W.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Rembrandt, Phil Soar
- Margrit Biever Mondavi…..Happy Birthday .., James B. Earley
- Symbols Unremembered, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Restoration, Nalini Chaturvedi
- Lovely Fact, Naveed Akram