What Do You Think of?
What do you think of when you think
What is the essence?
Is it the rhyme or is it the meter?
Is it the style or is it the flow?
Is it the content or is it the message?
Is it universal or personal?
poetry is all these things
more concise than prose
less concise than silence
more profound than chat
less profound than a sigh
spoken in the day
whispered in the night
floating in the breeze
etched on a stony heart
breaking a heart with a phrase
building a hope with a word
translating perception into reality
and reality into perception
giving you me and giving you you
taking what we need and saying what we can
bold and shy, flamboyant and grave
bristling, shimmering, glistening, shining
hiding and teasing, sure and unsure
wandering and waiting
waiting and wondering
trying and succeeding
trying and failing
our so-strange journey
with no destination
no looking around the bend
just walking in our way
our amazing way
Tom Courtney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What Do You Think of? by Tom Courtney )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- A New Freedom, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Bluened Tones, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Y/.. Thirst, Aufie Zophy
- Enchanting Essence And Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Y/.. Much more, Aufie Zophy
- Awaiting Universe Claims A Seconds Thought, Terence G. Craddock
- Crying Sun, Bill Cantrell
- Opening Wisdom, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- MAN LIVES ONE TIME ON OUR EARTH الانسان .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Touching Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak