Lawrence S. Pertillar
What They Had To Do To Accomplish
If I had NOT be taught,
Very early in my childhood...
That a good life to live,
Involves a doing of it...
With discipline and sacrifice,
To daily commit as if obligated.
I too would believe,
I was entitled to get everything I wished.
With a receiving of it,
At someone else's expense.
And all I had to do,
Was to pretend I was the reason...
Someone I dismissed but achieved success,
Had been motivated by my suggesting...
Having initiative to first implement a step forward.
While they fed off of my applied procrastination.
'I get so tired of hearing these folks say,
What they had to do to accomplish.
And on their own.
As if I had not been right there,
Exposing and revealing to them my dreams.'
Are you referring to me?
At least when I come to visit,
You listen to me without interrupting.
I like the snacks you buy.
I'm in my own home.'
I am glad to be blessed by your visitations.
If you weren't so modest,
I wouldn't visit so often.
You need any help moving the furniture around? '
No that's okay.
I'm going to catch my breath,
Before I move the appliances back into the kitchen.
'How cold is that beer in the 'frig'?
You should buy a cooler.
I would have chosen another color,
To paint this room.
You should have called me.
I would have recommended something else.'
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What They Had To Do To Accomplish by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- Touch the Air Softly, William Jay Smith
- Dachshunds, William Jay Smith
- Sweet Home, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Butterfly, William Jay Smith
- The readiness, hasmukh amathalal
- Seal, William Jay Smith
- Hindi Haiku ghazal (boond) हाइकू ग़ज़ल, S.D. TIWARI
- Behave like dog and not human, Aftab Alam
- A Pavane for the Nursery, William Jay Smith
- The Toaster, William Jay Smith
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)