When Treasure stepped into Meng's
The sadness had not yet
burying her grandmother
two days ago.
Suddenly Benny plopped down,
hoisted the Thunderbird
above his open mouth
tilted his wrist, swallowed
then smiled, finally holding out
the bottle to Treasure
who shook her head, No.
“Why do people die, Bernstein? ” she asked
“96, ” I said softly.
“Too much love.”
“I didn’t want her to go
followed by pounding rain.
Benny gulped again, no smile
just a sigh, then another.
“A little longer
That too much to want, Bernstein? ”
“About your grandma? ” asked Benny.
Silence. I said, “Yeah.”
“Her name? ” he asked
“Janice, ” said Treasure,
Benny held the bottle high
said, “To Janice.”
then began the swallow
until all the booze was gone
also Benny, head down,
eyes closed, barely breathing.
“Looks almost dead, ” I said.
in the coffin, blue dress,
shiny black shoes
told me not to be troubled…”
“She spoke to you? ”
“As best she could
being she was dead.”
Charles Wax's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (When Treasure stepped into Meng's by Charles Wax )
- Rising of a New Day Through Shine, Rohit Sapra
- Sad Cloud, ramesh rai
- I am carnival, Havilah
- Creative Musical Juces, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Finally Found Our Home, Michael McParland
- Distance doesn't matter, Antonio Liao
- Moisture, Chideraza Lowell
- Bharatheeyakavitha, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Not A Sound, Tango Tango
- - People? - (Haiku), Joe Muschaweck
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(22 March 1941 -)