Sydney Wheeler Jephcott
SNOWY-SMOOTH beneath the pen—
Richest field that iron ploughs,
Germinating thoughts of men,
Tho’ no heaven its rain allows.
There they ripen, thousand-fold;
And our spirits reap the corn,
In a day-long dream of gold—
Food for all the souls unborn.
Like the murmur of the earth,
When we listen stooping low,
Like sap singing nature’s mirth
Foaming up the trees that grow.
Evermore a subtle song
Sings the pen unto it, while
Fluid idea flows along,
Each new Era’s mother-Nile.
Greater than ensphering Sea,
For it holds the sea and land;
Seed of every deed to be
Down its current borne like sand.
I caress thy surface sheer,
Holding thee the Absolute;
Where the things to be inhere,
Waiting their material bruit.
How I love thee! my heart’s blood
Were too dull to smutch thy white!
I’ll aver: no lily’s bud
Lays such unction on my sight.
Suave of maiden’s throat or arm,
Bliss embodied to the touch,
Has not such ambrosial charm—
Not a marble Goddess such!
Dear White Paper! All To-day
Palpitates with spirit-heat—
Only on thy whiteness may
Seers translate its rhythms sweet!
Holy Paper! all the Past
Were a rack of ruined cloud
Stripping from our orbit vast,
But thou Eternity endowed
With an actual soul of speech—
Life of life by death distilled—
That all dateless days shall reach,
As life’s vine of veins is filled.
O, the glorious Heavens wrought
By Cadmean souls of yore
From pure element of Thought!
And thy leaves their silvern door!
Light they open, and we stand
Past the sovereignty of Fate;
Glad among Them, still and grand,
The Creators and Create
Sydney Wheeler Jephcott's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (White Paper by Sydney Wheeler Jephcott )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Truth, Please, Sandra Feldman
- can I be..., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- As You Laid There, GJG Elton
- At the market..., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- Below, Frank Avon
- God's own..., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- 2 Fast And The Furious, Mark Harper
- midnight dream, Cee Bea
- know you are there...., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- You Are Your Wish, Gbolagade Taiwo