Muideen Lanre Dauda
Who says that one’s life is a pleasure?
This might be true for a select few.
If you want to know:
Life is a cave full of chitchat.
Here, clowns and flatterers make brief speeches.
You may ask the man who works in the mine,
Or check with an wise man — this is even better.
But you'll later be sore.
For this world offers you sweet and bitter pills
— And powdery stuff, which vanishes
In a blink of an eye.
It is true that there are diamonds and jewels
And any man may like to have some.
But as a punishment he would later regret.
Because, when he leaves this world
He can’t take anything with him.
This means that anything he has is temporary.
He can’t say he owns anything forever.
Everyone knows this:
The Earth provides us with everything we need,
But it shall take it all back.
And Earth shall keep its inheritance.
Man better not dare to challenge this.
For everything belongs to this Earth.
The only things to which man could claim ownership:
Are his deeds, which would live after him, as his twin,
At the time, when he shall bite the dust.
Muideen Lanre Dauda's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (WHO SAYS by Muideen Lanre Dauda )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Louisa May Alcott
(29 November 1832 – 6 March 1888)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 March 1941 -)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 March 1892 – 15 April 1938)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Los heraldos negros, Cesar Vallejo
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes, Billy Collins
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In.., Billy Collins
- Forgetfulness, Billy Collins
- On Turning Ten, Billy Collins
Poem of the Day
- My life, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- Don't leave me cozied-up homely, Mark Heathcote
- If You Were Here Today, Serena Blackinton
- Uncle Trevor's Solution, rohan bendre
- Trapped Inside, Pamela Carroll
- Two Green Points: Art Print by Wassily K.., Frank Avon
- Winter Twilight Haiku, Chenou Liu
- The Season of His Birth, Frank Avon
- The Man Who Cut His Left Leg, Sergi Dutronc
- Back agin, Rodney R. Cooper