Ella Wheeler Wilcox
She must be honest, both in thought and deed,
Of generous impulse, and above all greed;
Not seeking praise, or place, or power, or pelf,
But life’s best blessings for her higher self,
Which means the best for all.
She must have faith,
To make good friends of Trouble, Pain, and Death,
And understand their message.
She should be
As redolent with tender sympathy
As a rose is with fragrance.
Should be her mantle, even though her dress
May be of Sorrow’s weaving.
On her face
A loyal nature leaves its seal of grace,
And chastity is in her atmosphere.
Not that chill chastity which seems austere
(Like untrod snow-peaks, lovely to behold
Till once attained – then barren, loveless, cold):
But the white flame that feeds upon the soul
And lights the pathway to a peaceful goal.
A sense of humour, and a touch of mirth,
To brighten up the shadowy spots of earth;
And pride that passes evil – choosing good.
All these unite in perfect womanhood.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Womanhood by Ella Wheeler Wilcox )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(2 February 1882 – 13 January 1941)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Small-scale Reflections On A Great House, Ramesh Iyengar
- The Shoelace, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- The way, Sergio Jaime
- Behind Closed Doors Once Again, Electric Lady
- Toronto, J.S. Campbell
- Unread Lines of My Existence, Sierra Staten
- The Guilt Trip, David Lewis Paget
- Ambrosia, Gaby Bernier
- Music is the bliss., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Live while you live., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Man dangles without woman., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Religion is a recreation., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.