Ella Wheeler Wilcox
She must be honest, both in thought and deed,
Of generous impulse, and above all greed;
Not seeking praise, or place, or power, or pelf,
But life’s best blessings for her higher self,
Which means the best for all.
She must have faith,
To make good friends of Trouble, Pain, and Death,
And understand their message.
She should be
As redolent with tender sympathy
As a rose is with fragrance.
Should be her mantle, even though her dress
May be of Sorrow’s weaving.
On her face
A loyal nature leaves its seal of grace,
And chastity is in her atmosphere.
Not that chill chastity which seems austere
(Like untrod snow-peaks, lovely to behold
Till once attained – then barren, loveless, cold):
But the white flame that feeds upon the soul
And lights the pathway to a peaceful goal.
A sense of humour, and a touch of mirth,
To brighten up the shadowy spots of earth;
And pride that passes evil – choosing good.
All these unite in perfect womanhood.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Womanhood by Ella Wheeler Wilcox )
- Kill not thy conscience, Aftab Alam
- THROUGH MIDNIGHT, G. E. Gorfu
- The Harvesters, Jordy lustig
- EEL: Bird Whisperer, Saiom Shriver
- Bird Temperature, Saiom Shriver
- AOA▷오피뷰◁모든 분당오피 송파오피걸의 모든것 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM, Yptjhjk0 Yptjhjk0
- To An Atheist, Saiom Shriver
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ강서오피녀 ⓑ송파오피 대란∠OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, Yptjhjk0 Yptjhjk0
- Lucidity, Saiom Shriver
- L.Messi 오피뷰 구로오피 KTwiz 송파오피 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., Yptjhjk0 Yptjhjk0
Poem of the Day
- Empires (a free verse poem.), J.A McManus
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Angel, William Blake
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)