In the beginning, only singing birds
Spread messages across a virgin earth.
Then apes turned into humans, grunts to words.
The fertile womb of speech gave joyous birth
To nights outside the cave, around the fire;
To storytellers, orators and bards.
And then the written word swept culture higher
As poets, playwrights, novelists took charge.
Now mobiles, satellites, the internet
Post words all round the planet, on display.
So all of us take every chance we get,
Through emails, texts and blogs, to have our say.
And Homer, Shakespeare, Tolstoy can’t compete
In just one-forty characters – tweet tweet.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Words by Bill Lythgoe )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- is Special Lust is Your Addiction?, LUVinThe NOW
- Never feel shy, hasmukh amathalal
- I LOVE YOU, Now, Let's Take Out The I an.., LUVinThe NOW
- Keep faith, hasmukh amathalal
- open fire on me, Marco Angelo
- Fall on death, hasmukh amathalal
- BECAUSE OF YOU, Colin Ian Jeffery
- Not that heavy words...., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- The return of the sea's hero, Ellias Anderson C.A ( Known ..
- Why ash? ? ?, SALINI NAIR