Work and Pray
PRAY and work! proclaims the world;
Briefly pray, for Time is gold.
On the door there knocketh dread—
Briefly pray, for Time is bread.
And ye plow and plant to grow.
And ye rivet and ye sow.
And ye hammer and ye spin—
Say, my people, what ye win.
Weave at loom both day and night,
Mine the coal to mountain height;
Fill right full the harvest horn—
Full to brim with wine and corn.
Yet where is thy meal prepared?
Yet where is thy rest-hour shared?
Yet where is thy warm hearth-fire?
Where is thy sharp sword of ire?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Work and Pray by Georg Herwegh )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- I Watched In Wonder, Kyle Schlicher
- Snowflake Falling, Kyle Schlicher
- Weep No More, My Willow Tree!, Maria Magdalena Biela
- ebola virus, ademola oluwabusayo
- The Mirror of your life... can you face .., Dimitri Jagodinski
- Honour-killing Is A Sin/ Just For Family.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love story, gajanan mishra
- My Prabhu! .....(Inspiration from KEE Th.., Geetha Jayakumar
- Arguendo, Michael Mullings
- Poem: Spiritual Upgrade, Joseph James Breunig 3rd