Written After A Visit To Birds Paddock
On the gum trees at Birds Paddock crested cockies squawk and call
And the magpies flute their sweetest notes as shades of darkness fall
And the kookaburras laughing, laughing all of their cares away
At Birds Paddock in Tecoma in the gloaming of the day.
To the reed beds for night shelter coot and eastern swamphen fly
And the wild duck back from feeding grounds are circling in the sky
Before coming in for landing on the waters of Birds lake
To rest and sleep and dream their dreams till first ray of daybreak.
O'er Birds Paddock in Tecoma night has spread it's darkened cloak
And the day creatures now resting and night creatures wide awoke
In the reed beds at the lake shore the shy and timid frogs croak
And I hear familiar call sound of nocturnal bird mopoke.
O'er Birds Paddock in Tecoma countless stars are twinkling bright
And I'll leave this wild life sanctuary to the shy birds of the night,
To the barn owls and the frogmouths and the mopokes and nightgars
To hunt in Tecoma gum woods in the faint light of the stars.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Written After A Visit To Birds Paddock by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- हमें आपके लिए.. hame aapke liye, hasmukh amathalal
- Dusky Day in Dallas, michael walker
- Mom, Barbara Dixion
- I almost was left behind., Sonia Ode Lucci
- Fairyland, Alesia Leach
- Lack of money does not mean lack of wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- On The T.V., Hannah Bryson Price
- Why do need wisdom anytime?, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- it is almost poetry, Mandolyn ...
- Wisdom's great aim, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)