Written In July 01
One might have thought that time would heal and hatred would subside
But politics, religion and so called patriotism the things that divide
And in Northern Ireland trouble once more brewing and old hatreds live on
And those for peace are left to rue the latest chance for peace near gone.
The Loyalists and the Republicans with the same brush are tarred
For decades due to their intransigence the chance for peace they've marred
Old hatreds handed down from father to son and nurtured and kept alive
And in such a hostile atmosphere peace struggles to survive.
These troubles in Northern Ireland have gone on for far too long
And parents must take some blame for this for they ought to know right from wrong
Their children never encouraged by them for to integrate
They keep them rooted in the past and teach them how to hate.
Of a lasting peace in Northern Ireland it would be nice to hear
But peace seems further from there now than at this time last year
And one would have thought that time would heal and hatred would subside
But politics, religion and so called patriotism are the things that still divide.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Written In July 01 by Francis Duggan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Inanity (2014), MILTON STYNER
- Where once you stood, Edward Clapham
- Thou hast dove eyes, thou hast dove eyes., devon da poet
- Habits, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- CAN'T GET THERE., Terry Collett
- Blurred vision., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- One Hundred and Eleven Cranks, Mitchell Gonzalez
- Want Versus Need..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Why we quarrel., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Death in action., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..