Written In July 01
One might have thought that time would heal and hatred would subside
But politics, religion and so called patriotism the things that divide
And in Northern Ireland trouble once more brewing and old hatreds live on
And those for peace are left to rue the latest chance for peace near gone.
The Loyalists and the Republicans with the same brush are tarred
For decades due to their intransigence the chance for peace they've marred
Old hatreds handed down from father to son and nurtured and kept alive
And in such a hostile atmosphere peace struggles to survive.
These troubles in Northern Ireland have gone on for far too long
And parents must take some blame for this for they ought to know right from wrong
Their children never encouraged by them for to integrate
They keep them rooted in the past and teach them how to hate.
Of a lasting peace in Northern Ireland it would be nice to hear
But peace seems further from there now than at this time last year
And one would have thought that time would heal and hatred would subside
But politics, religion and so called patriotism are the things that still divide.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Written In July 01 by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- THIS LIFE IS UP-SIDE-DOWN هذه الحياة متك.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Islands of Flowers, Marilyn Lott
- Home-makers, Dr Deena Padayachee
- I APOLOGIZE FOR YOU, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- On your toe, shubham sutar
- I don't know what to think of it, shubham sutar
- you lives in me, shubham sutar
- I broke your heart, shubham sutar
- I APOLGIZE FOR YOU انا بعتذرلك, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- art uncle jude, binod bastola