Yearning For Clare (To John O Mahony)
I know a man a decent sort and he's lived in County Clare
And he tell me that in his heart he yearns to return to there
And that since he's returned to County Cork to Duhallow and Millstreet
He find the people boring and life's not half so sweet.
An A.C.O.T. advisor with farming folk he has big part to play
He give advice on modern methods and on how to make farmimng pay
And he imparts his knowledge to quite a very few
And I've been told that he knows his job and is good at what he do.
But to him there's more to life than work there's social atmosphere
And he find quite a difference between County Clare and here
They are a friendly type of folk in Clare unstained by snobbery
But he find Cork folk different and they treat you differently.
He find it hard to re-settle in so hard to settle down
In the green Blackwater valley just north of Millstreet Town
But he will not return to Clare for him there's no going back
As his blood kin are living here and Clare's off of the beaten track.
And listening to him speak of Clare stirred the wanderlust in me
It tempted me to head off west and shake my fetters free
But I may never go to Clare as there I may not find a job
And how can one exist if one don't have that living 'bob'
I know a man a Millstreet man and one I consider wise
And he's an honest sort of a bloke and he doesn't deal in lies
And every time he speaks of Clare there's a sadness in his eyes
For that land west of the Shannon beneath the western skies.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Yearning For Clare (To John O Mahony) by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- You Can Lil story, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Exploitation, gajanan mishra
- Three Simple Words, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Loving Others, Tom Zart
- Law Breakers, Tony Adah
- Our India is the best country of the who.., Mazid S Kazi , INDIA
- Silent Page, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- This is human race, Aftab Alam
- God Bless The Teacher, Enoch Gyamfi
- Hunger, Kyle Schlicher
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Men, Maya Angelou
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)