Your Last Drive
Here by the moorway you returned,
And saw the borough lights ahead
That lit your face - all undiscerned
To be in a week the face of the dead,
And you told of the charm of that haloed view
That never again would beam on you.
And on your left you passed the spot
Where eight days later you were to lie,
And be spoken of as one who was not;
Beholding it with a cursory eye
As alien from you, though under its tree
You soon would halt everlastingly.
I drove not with you…. Yet had I sat
At your side that eve I should not have seen
That the countenance I was glancing at
Had a last-time look in the flickering sheen,
Nor have read the writing upon your face,
'I go hence soon to my resting-place;
'You may miss me then. But I shall not know
How many times you visit me there,
Or what your thoughts are, or if you go
There never at all. And I shall not care.
Should you censure me I shall take no heed
And even your praises I shall not need.'
True: never you'll know. And you will not mind.
But shall I then slight you because of such?
Dear ghost, in the past did you ever find
Me one whom consequence influenced much?
Yet the fact indeed remains the same,
You are past love, praise, indifference, blame.
Thomas Hardy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Your Last Drive by Thomas Hardy )
Did you read them?
- seriously though, the ending is dope, Mandolyn ...
- Performing A Musical, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Separation of the women who resemble sui.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- The Light The Night Sows, Walid Lounes Bouzerar
- Lasting Sorrow, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Heart condition, Ibrar Siddiqi
- A Poet's Echo, Nate Flying Owl
- did the clergy man create chaos when the.., Mandolyn ...
- Path Of No Resistance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- If Love... The This Follow...., Luis Estable
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)