Chicago Poems - Poems For Chicago
Poems about chicago. You can read the best chicago poems. Browse through all chicago poems.
Lake Michigan - Poem by Kate Harrington
(Written during the Jubilee at Chicago)
While thousands throng each crowded mart,
And gaze around in mute surprise,
I turn with an adoring heart
To thee, fair mirror of the skies.
Yet not in silence can I pour
My full heart out, fair Lake, to thee,
So, humbly kneeling on thy shore,
I chant thy praise, my Jubilee.
The purple clouds are all drawn back
From heaven's blue vault, that I may trace
Its distant verge, —its shining track
Held to thy heart in close embrace.
The roseate flush that tinged the sky
Has slowly turned to burnished gold,
And every wave that hurries by
Clasps all of sunlight it can hold.
I saw thee not, Lake Michigan,
When all aglow —a sheet of flame;
When forth the frenzied people ran
To shriek for help —to- call thy name.
Chicago, thine own cherished bride,
Thou mightst not succor —couldst not save;
But fettered lay as flames spread wide
And scooped for her a yawning grave.
The loss was ours; we mourned with thee
That she should fall, —a nation mourned;
Nor deemed we then we e'er should see
Her hopes restored, her strength returned.
'Forever lost, forever gone! '
Came through thy murmuring wavelets' swell;
' Forever lost, forever gone! '
We echoed back, —her funeral knell.
Yet now, so soon, a wondering throng
Crowd to thy shore in hushed surprise,
And there behold (grand theme for song)
Chicago, Phcenix-like, arise.
A world lamented when she fell,
And now, 'neath turret, tower, and dome,
A multitude of voices tell
Her year of Jubilee has come.
Chicago, City of the Lake,
Bride of this lovely inland sea,
Thy resurrection-glories wake
A dream of what thou yet shalt be.
Undaunted in thy darkest hour,
Thyself hast brought the awakening dawn;
Thy energy has been the power
That led, and still shall lead thee on.
Comments about Lake Michigan by Kate Harrington
Poems About Chicago
- 301. Lake Michigan , Kate Harrington
- 302. ''The South Side Of Chicago'' By David H.. , David Hart
- 303. Black History Month , Alexander Downie
- 304. Lindsay Okray , Janice McCann
- 305. Chicago Blackhawks Parade , Riley Frisbie
- 306. Catullus Poem 58, An Original Adaptation.. , STANLEY PACION
- 307. Chicago , Cadence Hanshew
- 308. [cfp Championship]≫Oregon Vs Ohio Sta.. , sany okk
- 309. Chicago , Floyd Crenshaw
- 310. To Conjure Up , Kevin Kiely
- 311. Chicago , everette johnson
- 312. Chicago , Lea Wilson
- 313. Precious Lord , John Taggart
- 314. My Birthday Was Different This Year , Oscar Mireles
- 315. Vietnam War Memorial , William Weiyi Marr
- 316. Jim Thorpe , Del a.k.a. Abe Jones
- 317. Marina Gipps , MARINA GIPPS
- 318. Vnose Camp , Caasder Fronds
- 319. Your Fine Charms , Whitney Jones Olson
- 320. Baseball , Sam Edison
- 321. Hillary Clinton Ambition , sherif monem
- 322. Poetry Magazines , Leslie Philibert
- 323. Aaron Swartz , Nicolas GRENIER
- 324. Mckinsey & Company , Nicolas GRENIER
- 325. Space Incarnation , William Weiyi Marr
- 326. Last Life , William Weiyi Marr
- 327. 8pm, Sandymount Beach , douglas scotney
- 328. Ramblings In A Phone Booth , Harriet James
- 329. Oh, The Hats , Connie Yost
- 330. Type-Writer Dreams , Wolf Wandering
- 331. Welcome To The World , Lee Lopez
- 332. No More Sunshine , LoKis White
- 333. The Sleeper , John F. McCullagh
- 334. The Dance Hall (For Christopher Barnes) , Sally Evans
- 335. Flying , sare gibbs
- 336. In North America. , VINAYAK ADKOLI
- 337. Voice By Ray Subrata , Subrata Ray
- 338. My Favorite Things (Manly Version) For .. , Jeffrey Stultz
- 339. December, Mid-Day , Robert J Meyer
- 340. Honey, Why Did You Force Me To Let You Go? , Fatenia Oliver
- 341. Good Bye And Fairwell...Send Them Straig.. , Battista Marino
- 342. Sunrise In Chicago River West , Robert J Meyer
- 343. The First Time Was Not The Last , Charles Lara
- 344. The Coastline Of Memories , jan oskar hansen
- 345. Madhouse Enormity , MARINA GIPPS
- 346. City Song , Trucker Jeff
- 347. Chicago , Terry L. Young
- 348. Not Turning Back , Bekki Butler
- 349. Gentleman , Jaipal Singh
- 350. Catwalk , Charles Malcolm
New Chicago Poems
- An Opinion On Events At The University O.., Donal Mahoney
- Chicago - The Loop, Ima Ryma
- Chicago - The World's Fair's End, Ima Ryma
- Chicago - The Stock Yards, Ima Ryma
- Chicago - Skyscraper First, Ima Ryma
- Chicago - 'the Clock Mender', Ima Ryma
- Country Boy And City Bumpkin, Donal Mahoney
- One Night In Chicago, Curtisj Johnson
- Flight 1122, Curtisj Johnson
- A Prose-Poetry: Complimenting Each Other.., Tushar Ray
- carpe diem