Daughter Poems - Poems For Daughter
Poems about daughter. You can read the best daughter poems. Browse through all daughter poems.
The Pomegranate - Poem by Eavan Boland
The only legend I have ever loved is
the story of a daughter lost in hell.
And found and rescued there.
Love and blackmail are the gist of it.
Ceres and Persephone the names.
And the best thing about the legend is
I can enter it anywhere. And have.
As a child in exile in
a city of fogs and strange consonants,
I read it first and at first I was
an exiled child in the crackling dusk of
the underworld, the stars blighted. Later
I walked out in a summer twilight
searching for my daughter at bed-time.
When she came running I was ready
to make any bargain to keep her.
I carried her back past whitebeams
and wasps and honey-scented buddleias.
But I was Ceres then and I knew
winter was in store for every leaf
on every tree on that road.
Was inescapable for each one we passed.
And for me.
It is winter
and the stars are hidden.
I climb the stairs and stand where I can see
my child asleep beside her teen magazines,
her can of Coke, her plate of uncut fruit.
The pomegranate! How did I forget it?
She could have come home and been safe
and ended the story and all
our heart-broken searching but she reached
out a hand and plucked a pomegranate.
She put out her hand and pulled down
the French sound for apple and
the noise of stone and the proof
that even in the place of death,
at the heart of legend, in the midst
of rocks full of unshed tears
ready to be diamonds by the time
the story was told, a child can be
hungry. I could warn her. There is still a chance.
The rain is cold. The road is flint-coloured.
The suburb has cars and cable television.
The veiled stars are above ground.
It is another world. But what else
can a mother give her daughter but such
beautiful rifts in time?
If I defer the grief I will diminish the gift.
The legend will be hers as well as mine.
She will enter it. As I have.
She will wake up. She will hold
the papery flushed skin in her hand.
And to her lips. I will say nothing.
Comments about The Pomegranate by Eavan Boland
Poems About Daughter
- 1. The Pomegranate , Eavan Boland
- 2. The Borders , Sharon Olds
- 3. For Jessica, My Daughter , Mark Strand
- 4. For A Daughter Who Leaves , Janice Mirikitani
- 5. A Little Tooth , Thomas Lux
- 6. Daughters, 1900 , Marilyn Nelson
- 7. The Highwayman , Alfred Noyes
- 8. The Iliad: Book 1 , Homer
- 9. Father And Daughter , Justin Gildow
- 10. The Odyssey: Book 1 , Homer
- 11. A Boy , lindsey ashton
- 12. Shakuntala Act 1 , Kalidasa
- 13. Daughter , Scott Austin
- 14. Mother And Daughter Love , valentine white
- 15. The Iliad (Bk I) , Homer
- 16. Worthless , xx charmer xx
- 17. (540) My Jewelry Party , Melvina Germain
- 18. Rose Mary , Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- 19. St. George And The Dragon , Anonymous Olde English
- 20. The Tower Beyond Tragedy , Robinson Jeffers
- 21. The Shadow-Child , Harriet Monroe
- 22. Kathleen , John Greenleaf Whittier
- 23. Love, Daughter, Forever , irene santiago
- 24. Fingal - Book I , James Macpherson
- 25. The Third Monarchy, Being The Grecian, B.. , Anne Bradstreet
- 26. Daughter , dr. ram sharma
- 27. The Iliad: Book 9 , Homer
- 28. Mother And Daughter... , StaceyLeigh Olner
- 29. The Bridal Of Pennacook , John Greenleaf Whittier
- 30. The Beggar's Daughter Of Bednall-Green , Anonymous Olde English
- 31. Like Mother Like Daughter , MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 32. The Iliad: Book 5 , Homer
- 33. Persephone , Jean Ingelow
- 34. Fingal - Book V , James Macpherson
- 35. Fingal - Book Ii , James Macpherson
- 36. Fingal - Book Iv , James Macpherson
- 37. Oina-Morul , James Macpherson
- 38. The Odyssey: Book 11 , Homer
- 39. What Kind Of Father Are You? , valentine white
- 40. Sir Cauline , Anonymous Olde English
- 41. Comala, A Dramatic Poem , James Macpherson
- 42. An Evening Song To She Who Exists By My .. , Daniil Ivanovich Kharms
- 43. A Timeless Message, A Final Lesson , S.J. Goldner
- 44. Lamentations Of Jeremiah Ii: Zion's Sorr.. , Prophet Jeremiah
- 45. Dar-Thula , James Macpherson
- 46. Argument , James Macpherson
- 47. Ch 02 The Morals Of Dervishes Story 46 , Saadi Shirazi
- 48. Three Sisters , maria sudibyo
- 49. Cathlin Of Clutha , James Macpherson
- 50. Oithona , James Macpherson
New Daughter Poems
- I Wanted To Be Their Daughter, bakuli bhakali
- Dark Daughter, How To Paint & Sketch You?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mothers And Daughters*, paul bamberger
- The Dark Daughter (A Memoir), Bijay Kant Dubey
- Haikus- Ii, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Poor Daughter Of India (Ii), Bijay Kant Dubey
- For Your Life Is Worth, Adeosun Olamide
- My Daughter The Daughter Of Maya, Bijay Kant Dubey
- My Daughter, How To Save You From Heat A.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Daughter Of The Earth - 24, gajanan mishra
- carpe diem