Despair Poems - Poems For Despair
Poems about despair. You can read the best despair poems. Browse through all despair poems.
Elegy - Poem by Charlotte Smith
'DARK gathering clouds involve the threatening skies,
The sea heaves conscious of the impending gloom,
Deep, hollow murmurs from the cliffs arise;
They come--the Spirits of the Tempest come!
'Oh! may such terrors mark the approaching night
As reign'd on that these streaming eyes deplore!
Flash, ye red fires of heaven, with fatal light,
And with conflicting winds ye waters roar!
'Loud and more loud, ye foaming billows, burst!
Ye warring elements, more fiercely rave!
Till the wide waves o'erwhelm the spot accurst
'Where ruthless Avarice finds a quiet grave!' '
Thus with clasp'd hands, wild looks, and streaming hair,
While shrieks of horror broke her trembling speech,
A wretched maid--the victim of despair,
Survey'd the threatening storm and desert beech.
Then to the tomb where now the father slept
Whose rugged nature bade her sorrows flow,
Frantic she turn'd--and beat her breast and wept,
Invoking vengeance on the dust below.
'Lo! rising there above each humbler heap,
Yon cypher'd stones his name and wealth relate,
Who gave his son--remorseless--to the deep,
While I, his living victim, curse my fate.
'Oh, my lost love! no tomb is placed for thee,
That may to strangers' eyes thy worth impart;
Thou hast no grave but in the stormy sea,
And no memorial but this breaking heart.
'Forth to the world, a widow'd wanderer driven,
I pour to winds and waves the unheeded tear,
Try with vain effort to submit to Heaven,
And fruitless call on him--'who cannot hear.'
'Oh! might I fondly clasp him once again,
While o'er my head the infuriate billows pour,
Forget in death this agonizing pain,
And feel his father's cruelty no more!
'Part, raging waters! part, and show beneath,
In your dread caves, his pale and mangled form;
Now, while the demons of despair and death
Ride on the blast, and urge the howling storm:
'Lo! by the lightning's momentary blaze,
I see him rise the whitening waves above,
No longer such as when in happier days
He gave the enchanted hours--to me and love.
'Such, as when daring the enchafed sea,
And courting dangerous toil, he often said
That every peril, one soft smile from me,
One sigh of speechless tenderness o'erpaid.
'But dead, disfigured, while between the roar
Of the loud waves his accents pierce mine ear,
And seem to say--Ah, wretch! delay no more,
But come, unhappy mourner--meet me here.
'Yet, powerful Fancy, bid the phantom stay,
Still let me hear him!--'Tis already past;
Along the waves his shadow glides away,
I lose his voice amid the deafening blast.
'Ah, wild delusion, born of frantic pain!
He hears not, comes not from his watery bed;
My tears, my anguish, my despair are vain,
The insatiate ocean gives not up its dead.
' 'Tis not his voice! Hark! the deep thunders roll;
Upheaves the ground; the rocky barriers fail;
Approach, ye horrors that delight my soul,
Despair, and Death, and Desolation, hail!'
The Ocean hears--The embodied waters come--
Rise o'er the land, and with resistless sweep
Tear from its base the proud aggressor's tomb,
And bear the injured to eternal sleep.
Comments about Elegy by Charlotte Smith
Poems About Despair
- 1. Elegy , Charlotte Smith
- 2. The Nakedness Of Truth (I Know It Well) , Paul Eluard
- 3. The Giaour: A Fragment Of A Turkish Tale , George Gordon Byron
- 4. The Cenci : A Tragedy In Five Acts , Percy Bysshe Shelley
- 5. Petrarch To Laura , Mary Darby Robinson
- 6. The City Of Dreadful Night , James Thomson
- 7. But Don'T Despair , Mark R Slaughter
- 8. The Abencerrage : Canto Iii. , Felicia Dorothea Hemans
- 9. Cycle Of My Emotions , Evy Moore
- 10. The Wreck Of The Steamer Mohegan , William Topaz McGonagall
- 11. Griselda: A Society Novel In Verse - Ch.. , Wilfrid Scawen Blunt
- 12. Solomon On The Vanity Of The World, A Po.. , Matthew Prior
- 13. Emotional Twins? , (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- 14. Palamon And Arcite; Or, The Knight's Tal.. , John Dryden
- 15. Camera Obscura , A.R. Brixton
- 16. Dawning , Lonnie Hicks
- 17. Despair , Kelly Vinal
- 18. To Songs At The Marriage Of The Lord Fau.. , Andrew Marvell
- 19. The Undying One- Canto Iii , Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Nor ..
- 20. Hamlet Micure , Edgar Lee Masters
- 21. Alas Alone Am I , Rani Turton
- 22. The Domestic Affections , Felicia Dorothea Hemans
- 23. The Vision Of The Maid Of Orleans - The .. , Robert Southey
- 24. On The Bill Which Was Passed In England .. , Helen Maria Williams
- 25. Gust Of Despair , irum inayat
- 26. Peruvian Tales: Cora, Tale Vi , Helen Maria Williams
- 27. Peruvian Tales: Alzira, Tale Ii , Helen Maria Williams
- 28. Peruvian Tales: Zilia, Tale Iii , Helen Maria Williams
- 29. The Undying One' - Canto I , Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Nor ..
- 30. The Undying One - Canto Ii , Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Nor ..
- 31. Eliza Harris , Frances Ellen Watkins Harper
- 32. The Giaour , George Gordon Byron
- 33. The Victories Of Love. Book I , Coventry Patmore
- 34. The Victories Of Love. Book Ii , Coventry Patmore
- 35. Euphelia , Helen Maria Williams
- 36. The Zenana , Letitia Elizabeth Landon
- 37. To Rinaldo , Mary Darby Robinson
- 38. Happiness...Despair , (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- 39. My Despair Comes And Goes , Shalom Freedman
- 40. Fragments From 'Genius Lost' , Charles Harpur
- 41. Love, Dreaming Of Death , Charles Harpur
- 42. Ah, I Have The Crime, I Have The Crime -.. , starseven0 starseven0
- 43. Songs In The Masque Of Alfred: To Alfred , James Thomson
- 44. Lost , Amy Kerswell
- 45. Despair , Adeline Foster
- 46. Despair Of The Early Morning , Shalom Freedman
- 47. Despair Is Darkness , Shalom Freedman
- 48. Driven Into Despair , Kevin Fisher
- 49. In The Garden Viii: Later Autumn , Edward Dowden
- 50. 'Tom Zart's Poems Of Christian Faith & L.. , Tom Zart
New Despair Poems
- Prayer-My Rescue, Lokendra Singh
- Despair Is Nowhere To Go, Shalom Freedman
- Baltimore 4/27/15, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Despire, Willio Etienne
- Maidenhair, David Lewis Paget
- Thou'Rt Hope In Despair, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Despair, Shalom Freedman
- Haiku-Despair, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- The Edge Of Despair And Insanity, Tim Vallie
- Stars Shining Darkly, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- carpe diem