Faith Poems - Poems For Faith
Poems about faith. You can read the best faith poems. Browse through all faith poems.
Faith And Works. A Tale. - Poem by Hannah More
Good Dan and Jane were man and wife,
And lived a loving kind of life.
One point, however, they disputed
And each by turns his mate confuted.
'Twas Faith and Works, this knotty question,
They found not easy of digestion.
While Dan for Faith alone contended,
Jane equally Good Works defended.
'They are not Christians, sure, but Turks,
Who build on Faith and scoff at Works,'
Quoth Jane; while eager Dan replied,
'By none but Heathens Faith's denied.
I'll tell you, wife,' one day quoth Dan,
'A story of a right good man:
A Patriarch sage, of ancient days,
A man of Faith whom all must praise;
In his own country he possess'd
Whate'er can make a wise man blest,
His was the flock, the field, the spring,
In short, a little rural king.
Yet pleas'd he quits his native land,
By Faith in the Divine command.
God bade him go; and he, content,
Went forth, not knowing where he went:
He trusted in the promise made,
And, undisputing, straight obey'd.
The heavenly word he did not doubt,
But proved his Faith by going out.'
Jane answer'd with some little pride:
'I've an example on my side;
And though my tale be somewhat longer,
I trust you'll find it vastly stronger.
I'll tell you, Daniel, of a man,
The holiest since the world began
Who now God's favour is receiving,
, not believing.
One only son this man possess'd,
In whom his righteous age was blest;
And more to mark the grace of heaven
This son by miracle was given.
And from this child, the word Divine,
Had promised an illustrious line.
When lo! at once a voice he hears,
Which sounds like thunder in his ears!
God says, 'Go sacrifice thy son!'
'This moment, Lord, it shall be done.'
He goes, and instantly prepares,
To slay this child of many pray'rs,
Now here you see the grand expedience,
, of actual, sound
This was not Faith, but act and deed;
The Lord commands the child shall bleed:
,' Jenny cried,
'Thus Abraham trusted,' Dan replied.
'Abraham!' quoth Jane, 'why that's my man.'
'No, Abraham's he I mean,' says Dan.
'He stands a monument of Faith.'
'No, 'tis for
the Scripture saith.'
I commend him.'
Thus he, thus she; both warmly feel,
And lose their temper in their zeal.
Too quick each other's choice to blame,
They did not see each meant the same.
At length, 'Good wife,' said honest Dan,
'We're talking of the self-same man.
The Works you praise, I own indeed,
Grow from that Faith for which I plead.
And Abraham, whom for Faith I quote
For Works deserves especial note.
'Tis not enough of Faith to talk:
A man of God with God must walk.
Our doctrines are at last the same,
They only differ in the name.
The Faith, I fight for, is the root;
The Works, you value, are the fruit.
How shall you know my creed's sincere,
Unless in Works my Faith appear?
How shall I know a tree's alive,
Unless I see it bear and thrive?
Your Works not growing on my root,
Would prove they were not genuine Fruit.
If Faith produce no Works, I see,
That Faith is not a living tree.
Thus Faith and Works together grow;
No separate life they e'er can know.
They're soul and body, hand and heart;
What God hath join'd let no man part!'
Comments about Faith And Works. A Tale. by Hannah More
Poems About Faith
- 1. Faith And Works. A Tale. , Hannah More
- 2. By Faith By: Cay Thorne , Cay Thorne
- 3. Faith , Domenic Marbaniang
- 4. My Shield Will I Lift Up , Chris Taylor
- 5. Faith Is An Axiom , Meetika Srivastava
- 6. Advice, To Search For , Rees Prichard
- 7. Faithless , AaI Harvey
- 8. Advice To Believe In Christ , Rees Prichard
- 9. Faith , LeLe Gallon
- 10. The Faith , paige charbeneau
- 11. In Winter Dreaming.................... , Eva Tortora
- 12. Destiny , Donta WoodsCarter
- 13. Rocking Your Faith To Sleep , Brian Apollo
- 14. Waterlillies , Eva Tortora
- 15. Fall Of Faith , Lalitha Narayanan
- 16. A Preparation For The Holy Communion , Rees Prichard
- 17. Islamics , Nasarudheen.P. Parameswaran
- 18. An Element Of Fun Has Just Begun , alice kingsley
- 19. Hope And Faith , Babatunde Idowu Ebenezer
- 20. Faith , Rachel Fogle
- 21. Unfaithful , massemo sunoko
- 22. Faith , Chantal Lammerts
- 23. Divergent Faith , Onon Sarker
- 24. Drum5 (Available 144 Page Book) , Mark Beal
- 25. Faith In Belief - Coping Strategy , Joshua C. Whiting
- 26. Faith, Hope And Love , Jim Sularz
- 27. Faith , Steffi Jose Chiriyankandath
- 28. What Is To Be Done , Refai Tommas
- 29. Hold Steadfast To Your Faith , Gerry Legister
- 30. The Second Booke Of Qvodlibets , Robert Hayman
- 31. God Has Such Amazing Faith , David Knox
- 32. Festus - Xxiii , Philip James Bailey
- 33. Seven Rings , Peter Black
- 34. Love You Mum , Shantel Novley
- 35. Life Is A Chace Of Time , Bret Zeller
- 36. Self Belief , Jeff Rushton
- 37. Lost Of Virginity , Jamiu Olanrewaju
- 38. Poor Word Choice , Timothy Branch
- 39. Faith , craig moon
- 40. Million Miles Of My Unseen Faith , Shama Taimour Bukhari
- 41. Garland Of Faith , Z.I. Mahmud
- 42. Something Interseting Sestina #1 , Victoria Lee
- 43. Not By Sight , Amanda May Moore
- 44. Faith 10 Word , Beryl Dov
- 45. Faith Is The Emperor Of Dreams , Suzy Kassem
- 46. Power Of Faith , Dr. Madan Gandhi
- 47. Yesterday, To-Day, And For Ever: Book Vi.. , Edward Henry Bickersteth
- 48. The Sceptic , Louisa Sarah Bevington
- 49. Answers , Esther Rowe
- 50. It's Burning Inside Me , Diego Adrian Manriquez
New Faith Poems
- Fall Of Faith, Lalitha Narayanan
- Faith, Lalitha Narayanan
- Soar Where Those Poor Of Faith Reside, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Faith In Christ!, Shaila Touchton
- Waterlillies, Eva Tortora
- Rocking Your Faith To Sleep, Brian Apollo
- Destiny, Donta WoodsCarter
- Faith, Jessica HernandezDamian
- In Winter Dreaming...................., Eva Tortora
- It Stays With You, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- carpe diem