Father Poems - Poems For Father
Poems about father. You can read the best father poems. Browse through all father poems.
A Railroad Eclogue - Poem by Walter Savage Landor
Father: What brought thee back, lad?
Son: Father! the same feet
As took me brought me back, I warrant ye.
Father: Couldst thou not find the rail?
Son: The deuce himself
Who can find most things, could not find the rail.
Father: Plain as a pike-staff miles and miles it lies.
Son: So they all told me. Pike-staffs in your day
Must have been hugely plainer than just now.
Father: What didst thou ask for?
Son: Ask for? Tewkesbury,
Thro Defford opposite to Breedon-hill.
Father: Right: and they set ye wrong?
Son: Me wrong? not they;
The best among 'em should not set me wrong,
Nor right, nor anything; I'd tell 'em that.
Father: Herefordshire's short horns and shorter wits
Are known in every quarter of the land,
Those blunt, these blunter. Well! no help for it!
Each might do harm if each had more of each . .
Yet even in Herefordshire there are some
Not downright dolts . . before the cider's broacht,
When all are much alike . . yet most could tell
A railroad from a parish or a pike.
How thou couldst miss that railroad puzzles me,
Seeing there lies none other round about.
Son: I found the rails along the whole brook-side
Left of that old stone bridge across yon Avon.
Father: That is the place.
Son: There was a house hard-by,
And past it ran a furnace upon wheels,
Like a mad bull, tail up in air, and horns
So low ye might not see 'em. On it bumpt,
Roaring, as strait as any arrow flits,
As strait, as fast too, ay, and faster went it,
Arid, could it keep its wind up and not crack,
Then woe betide the eggs at Tewkesbury
This market-day, and lambs, and sheep! a score
Of pigs might be made flitches in a trice,
Before they well could knuckle.
If they were ourn, thou wouldst not chuckle so,
And shake thy sides, and wipe thy eyes, and rub
Thy breeches-knees, like Sunday shoes, at that rate.
Hows'ever. . . .
Father: 'Twas the train, lad, 'twas the train.
Son: May-be: I had no business with a train.
'Go thee by rail,' you told me; 'by the rail
At Defford' . . and didst make a fool of me.
Father: Ay, lad, I did indeed: it was methinks
Some twenty years agone last Martinmas.
Comments about A Railroad Eclogue by Walter Savage Landor
Poems About Father
- 1. A Railroad Eclogue , Walter Savage Landor
- 2. What Kind Of Father Are You? , valentine white
- 3. Ch 03 On The Excellence Of Contentment S.. , Saadi Shirazi
- 4. Wheat , Clarence Michael James Stani ..
- 5. The Loving Shepherdess , Robinson Jeffers
- 6. Thank You Father , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 7. (800) A Special Prayer Request-For The.. , Melvina Germain
- 8. A Story Of Doom: Book Iv. , Jean Ingelow
- 9. ‘father”: , yeslin salazar
- 10. I Love My Father , otteri selvakumar
- 11. The Odyssey , Homer
- 12. Father , adean ladia
- 13. A Son's Confessions! ! ! , Compton Wright
- 14. The Letter My Father Will Never See , Sam Byron
- 15. Father Boy , Laurence Overmire
- 16. The Odyssey: Book 4 , Homer
- 17. The Odyssey: Book 6 , Homer
- 18. A Child Of The King , Luke Easter
- 19. The Changeling , Russell Edson
- 20. 1007 Father Christmas - Christmas Father , John Knight
- 21. In The Name Of The Father , jerry hughes
- 22. My Father-My Mentor , gajanan mishra
- 23. Tale Xxi , George Crabbe
- 24. The Maid-Martyr , Jean Ingelow
- 25. Honor Our Father! ! ! , Patricia Martin
- 26. A Father Image I , Marvin Brato Sr
- 27. Fatherly Love , Abdul Wahab
- 28. Let Me, For Once, Move Alone , Piyush Dey
- 29. If I Ever Live Again , Tunji Ibrahim
- 30. The Odyssey: Book 24 , Homer
- 31. Yasrab , Muhammad Shanazar
- 32. Father Is Here , gajanan mishra
- 33. Love All Four , Clarence Prince
- 34. Father And Son , Arti Honrao
- 35. Parents , Aftab Alam
- 36. The Odyssey: Book 2 , Homer
- 37. In Prayer To You , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 38. Dear Fathers , otteri selvakumar
- 39. I Am Yusuf Oh Father , Mahmoud Darwish
- 40. 'Tom Zart's Poems Of Christian Faith & L.. , Tom Zart
- 41. Oh, Father! - Feel My Untold Love! (Part.. , Harindhar Reddy
- 42. The Odyssey: Book 15 , Homer
- 43. Dear Father , Amir Khusro
- 44. Remembering My Father , Philo Yan
- 45. Where Is My Father , gajanan mishra
- 46. Haidouks , Khristo Botev
- 47. The Songs Of Selma , James Macpherson
- 48. The Odyssey: Book 3 , Homer
- 49. Oh, Father! - Feel My Untold Love! (Part.. , Harindhar Reddy
- 50. An Unborn Daughter's Plea , Sameer Ahsan
New Father Poems
- Extinction Is Forever, Joseph DeMarco
- The Lament Of The Maiden-Daughter, Hibah Shabkhez
- Dead Language, Nico Campe
- Melting Skies, Deepak Malapur
- Young Priest, Old Priest, Donal Mahoney
- The Father Of My Country, Diane Wakoski
- Essays On Literature, alexander opicho
- An Unborn Daughter's Plea, Sameer Ahsan
- The Shadow Players, Muhammad Khalid
- Margaret Mary Kelly,82, Wants To Marry P.., Donal Mahoney
- carpe diem