Greed Poems - Poems For Greed
Poems about greed. You can read the best greed poems. Browse through all greed poems.
Gizmo Idolatry - Poem by gershon hepner
Gizmo idolatry is why
a cardiologist will scan your heart.
Eventually we all must die,
but being gizmo-scanned before we part
helps us provide our doctors with
a method to campaign, they say, for health.
The gizmo idol is no myth,
since it provides them with a means for wealth.
Immutable as laws of Moses,
the grounds for stenting greed will rule,
in search for ocular stenosis
that is the goalpost of the gizmo ghoul.
Alex Berenson and Reed Abelson wrote inn the NYT on June 29,2008 (“Weighing the Cost of a CT Scan’s Look Inside the Heart”) :
Fees from imaging have become a significant part of cardiologists’ income — accounting for half or more of the $400,000 or so that cardiologists typically make in this country, said Jean M. Mitchell, an economist at Georgetown University who studies the way financial incentives influence doctors. Besides generating profits themselves, the scans enable cardiologists to find blockages in patients who have no symptoms of heart problems. Doctors can then place stents in patients who would not otherwise have received them, generating additional revenue of $7,500 to $20,000 per patient. While clinical trials have not shown that stents benefit patients with no symptoms of heart disease, they are still routinely inserted in such patients when tests find significant blockages. Cardiologists joke that the phenomenon is “ocular stenosis” — blockages that can be seen are stented. “You find a lot of asymptomatic disease, ” said John O. Goodman, a business consultant to cardiologists. “It will put more patients in the cath lab” — medical shorthand for a cardiac catheterization laboratory, where conventional angiograms and stenting procedures take place. Ms. Mitchell said cardiologists simply practice medicine the way the health system rewards them to. Given the opportunity to recommend a test for which they will make money, the doctors will. “This is not greed, ” she said. “This is normal economic behavior.”
Bruce Leff, an Associate Professor of Medicine at Johns Hopkins, responded on July 1,2008:
As a geriatrician and health services researcher, I believe that the demand for cardiac CT scans is a textbook example of gizmo idolatry, or the implicit conviction that a more technological approach is intrinsically better than one that is less technological. Factors in addition to faith in innovation and economic incentives for gizmo purveyors encourage their use and include the common-sense appeal of gizmo, use of the technology as proof of physician competence, and protection against claims of negligent care, to name but a few. The harms from gizmo idolatry are absolutely real: patients and the advancement of science are put at risk. Medicine, as a public trust, is tarnished. New regulation is urgently needed to require clear proof of benefit before cardiac CTs and other gizmos are widely disseminated. Bruce Leff, Baltimore, June 29,2008.
Comments about Gizmo Idolatry by gershon hepner
Poems About Greed
- 1. Gizmo Idolatry , gershon hepner
- 2. Economic Turns , Bob Gotti
- 3. The Story Of My Life , Ace Of Black Hearts
- 4. No Notice: : >>) , Is It Poetry
- 5. Poems About. , Mahfooz Ali
- 6. You Too , Francis Duggan
- 7. 'Reflections Of Christmas Past' , Linda Winchell
- 8. Obamalust , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 9. A Far Greater Threat , Francis Duggan
- 10. Due To Our Lust For Money , Francis Duggan
- 11. Residence Of....Hypocrisy, Greed & Deceit , (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- 12. My Is Name The Maniac , vincent armone
- 13. Poem From A Dream , Patti Masterman
- 14. When Will They Wake Up To See , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 15. They'Re Laughing.... , delilah contrapunctal.... ye ..
- 16. Figments Of Creative Imagination , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 17. Cheapness Fed The Greed , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 18. Greed , Nassy Fesharaki
- 19. War Poet , Tom Zart
- 20. Throw Them Out , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 21. Those Of The Crumpets And Tea Party , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 22. Don’t Undermine Fear. , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 23. Lust Is Satan , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 24. Greedy , Naveed Akram
- 25. Without The Money , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 26. Giving Options Prevents That , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 27. Lips Of Greed , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 28. Because I Am The Giver Then I Am Inexhau.. , RIC S. BASTASA
- 29. Nurtured Crops , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 30. Enough Is Enough , David Harris
- 31. To Prove Pointless Ends , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 32. When The Money Is Right , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 33. With Wishes To Erase Reality , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 34. Haunted , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 35. Gm Battle Earth Began In Eden , Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- 36. My Wish Is For A Perfect World , Francis Duggan
- 37. Drawing A Line , Pradip Chattopadhyay
- 38. The hunter's trap - By POET Yaser Nadeem.. , MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 39. Developer's Greed , RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 40. Sankara , Edward Kofi Louis
- 41. What Is Wished , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 42. Dogs, Cats, And Donkeys Are Delicious Me.. , MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 43. Enough Money Spent On Wars , Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- 44. Stop Trying To Find The Logic In Everyth.. , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 45. I Appreciate Their Teachings , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 46. Revolving Debit - Cul-De-Sac Acrostic .. , Jonathan ROBIN
- 47. To Put Down With One-Up-Manship , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 48. Faith, Greed & Love , Tom Zart
- 49. Reasons To Discuss , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 50. Much Always Wants More , Francis Duggan
New Greed Poems
- Greed And Money, Kailee Heckathorn
- Contentment Is Happiness., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Salsaabil 50 Poem @sakisabre, SAKISABRE Saki
- Greed Is Good, Aniruddha Pathak
- Compensation, Mahendiran v..
- Greed Is Useless, KHAYA CLARENCE
- A Tall Throat, Tony Adah
- Greed Breeds Greed, Aftab Alam
- In The Swirl Of Greed, Amitava Sur
- Graven Greediness, Kumarmani Mahakul
- carpe diem