History Poems - Poems For History
Poems about history. You can read the best history poems. Browse through all history poems.
1.Still I Rise
You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may tread me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.
Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.
Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.
Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own back yard.
You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.
Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?
Out of the huts of history's shame
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise. read more »
Adam, a brown old vulture in the rain,
Shivered below his wind-whipped olive-trees;
Huddling sharp chin on scarred and scraggy knees,
He moaned and mumbled to his darkening brain; read more »
History has to live with what was here,
clutching and close to fumbling all we had--
it is so dull and gruesome how we die,
unlike writing, life never finishes. read more »
4.A Summary History of Lord Clive
About a hundred and fifty years ago,
History relates it happened so,
A big ship sailed from the shores of Britain
Bound for India across the raging main. read more »
5.In Flanders Field
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly read more »
6.The Sea Is History
Where are your monuments, your battles, martyrs?
Where is your tribal memory? Sirs,
in that gray vault. The sea. The sea
has locked them up. The sea is History. read more »
7.While History's Muse
While History's Muse the memorial was keeping
Of all that the dark hand of Destiny weaves,
Beside her the Genius of Erin stood weeping,
For hers was the story that blotted the leaves. read more »
The boy stood on the burning deck
Whence all but he had fled;
The flame that lit the battle's wreck
Shone round him o'er the dead. read more »
Sicut Patribus, sit Deus Nobis)
The rocky nook with hilltops three
Looked eastward from the farms, read more »
What need you, being come to sense,
But fumble in a greasy till
And add the halfpence to the pence
And prayer to shivering prayer, until read more »
11.Yesterday is History -new-
Yesterday is History,
'Tis so far away -
Yesterday is Poetry - read more »
12.The Battle of Lexington
Now haste thee while the way is clear,
Haste, Dawes! but haste thee not, O Sun!
To Lexington. read more »
New History Poems
- Peace And Legends., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- A History Of The Future, Darlene Walsh
- The history of earth I could not know it, Bijay Kant Dubey
- A Warning from History, David Clinch
- Things that change, Emmanuel George Cefai
- History and geography, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Time In History, George Egba
- Sightseeing, Aparna Chatterjee
- History, Janina Degutyte
- Bekal, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- We Humans Are thrown ever, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Histories, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love’s weight, Niki Nicholas Nkuna
- History Would Relieve or Punish, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Farewell Mandela, Aron Lelei
- Little Benefits Make Big Benefits, Danladi Tauhid
- The History Ain't Bright..., Mark Grist
- Oh....Boring History, Samin Fatima
- Parade, Vera Sidhwa
- Business Of Life, Savita Tyagi
- The History Of Time, Life And The World, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Creating History, gajanan mishra
- The history boy, the mystery boy, Sunny Mittal
- Reminder not necessary, gajanan mishra
- History, gajanan mishra
- History Is A Story, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Athens Beckons!, Rekha Mandagere
- War Is Our Worlds History, Christian Cervantes
- History, Sachin Ketkar
- You Became My History, Zushan Hashmi
- Love: The History (Radha-35), Subrat Pradhan
- It's In The Water!, Udiah (witness to Yah)
- You are now history, Gaylord Munemo
- Our History, Marites C. Cayetano
- Multiple Choice, Morgan Michaels
- Tales of my past, venessa ambrose
- History, Tiana Webb
- History, Tiffany M. Davis
- Peace Messenger, ramesh rai
- A Pulitzer Prize, Udiah (witness to Yah)
- THE HISTORY OF TOMORROW, Adegbenro Adekunle
- God Offers Lasting Hope, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- That Which Plagues the History Bandits, Cheryl Jacob
- Ephraim and Manasseh, Udiah (witness to Yah)
- Ireland, Udiah (witness to Yah)
- Man In The Mirror..., Angel Diaz
- Humanity Always Rises From Slavery, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- St. Patrick, Udiah (witness to Yah)
- Erin Go Bragh, Udiah (witness to Yah)
- Three Kinds of People, David Aoloch Bion
- ~ His[s]tory ~, MS. NIVEDITA BAGCHI SPC. UK.
- History and Nature As One, Nicole Henson
- History Stuff, Mark Fullick
- HISTORY, Edwina Reizer
- The Twelve Tribes of Israel, Udiah (witness to Yah)
- In The Garden, Udiah (witness to Yah)
- God Bless US, Udiah (witness to Yah)
- History, Veronica Gabor
- Southerndown South Wales No3, James Tipp
- napoleonic fable, gershon hepner
- History Maker, Henry Brown
- History Stones People., Samuel Katz
- Multicultural Melbourne, Katie Anne
- History, Naveed Akram
- History, richard belis
- Mr. protection, Beethovens laguerre
- The American Flag, Melissa Wagner
- Travel Haiku - Virginia Historic Garden .., john tiong chunghoo
- Stars Dont Know My Fate, Jessel Jane Tevar
- REPEATED, Dorian Melody
- history, Dorian Melody
- HISTORY, Isaac Armstrong Annor
- Ten Words Circularly, Alex Hamilton
- I Am Apart Of History, Jeanette Matthews
- carpe diem