Horse Poems - Poems For Horse
Poems about horse. You can read the best horse poems. Browse through all horse poems.
The Ballad Of The Drover - Poem by Henry Lawson
Across the stony ridges,
Across the rolling plain,
Young Harry Dale, the drover,
Comes riding home again.
And well his stock-horse bears him,
And light of heart is he,
And stoutly his old pack-horse
Is trotting by his knee.
Up Queensland way with cattle
He travelled regions vast;
And many months have vanished
Since home-folk saw him last.
He hums a song of someone
He hopes to marry soon;
And hobble-chains and camp-ware
Keep jingling to the tune.
Beyond the hazy dado
Against the lower skies
And yon blue line of ranges
The homestead station lies.
And thitherward the drover
Jogs through the lazy noon,
While hobble-chains and camp-ware
Are jingling to a tune.
An hour has filled the heavens
With storm-clouds inky black;
At times the lightning trickles
Around the drover's track;
But Harry pushes onward,
His horses' strength he tries,
In hope to reach the river
Before the flood shall rise.
The thunder from above him
Goes rolling o'er the plain;
And down on thirsty pastures
In torrents falls the rain.
And every creek and gully
Sends forth its little flood,
Till the river runs a banker,
All stained with yellow mud.
Now Harry speaks to Rover,
The best dog on the plains,
And to his hardy horses,
And strokes their shaggy manes;
`We've breasted bigger rivers
When floods were at their height
Nor shall this gutter stop us
From getting home to-night!'
The thunder growls a warning,
The ghastly lightnings gleam,
As the drover turns his horses
To swim the fatal stream.
But, oh! the flood runs stronger
Than e'er it ran before;
The saddle-horse is failing,
And only half-way o'er!
When flashes next the lightning,
The flood's grey breast is blank,
And a cattle dog and pack-horse
Are struggling up the bank.
But in the lonely homestead
The girl will wait in vain --
He'll never pass the stations
In charge of stock again.
The faithful dog a moment
Sits panting on the bank,
And then swims through the current
To where his master sank.
And round and round in circles
He fights with failing strength,
Till, borne down by the waters,
The old dog sinks at length.
Across the flooded lowlands
And slopes of sodden loam
The pack-horse struggles onward,
To take dumb tidings home.
And mud-stained, wet, and weary,
Through ranges dark goes he;
While hobble-chains and tinware
Are sounding eerily.
. . . . .
The floods are in the ocean,
The stream is clear again,
And now a verdant carpet
Is stretched across the plain.
But someone's eyes are saddened,
And someone's heart still bleeds
In sorrow for the drover
Who sleeps among the reeds.
Poems About Horse
- 1. The Ballad Of The Drover , Henry Lawson
- 2. Ye Carpette Knyghte , Lewis Carroll
- 3. Cavalier Tunes: Boot And Saddle , Robert Browning
- 4. The Old Timer's Steeplechase , Banjo Paterson
- 5. Marshall's Mate , Henry Lawson
- 6. Pelleas And Ettarre , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 7. Anastasia & Sandman , Larry Levis
- 8. The Ode Of Ántara (Alternate Translation) , Antarah (Antar) Ibn Shaddad
- 9. Horse And Rider , Horse Poet
- 10. The Iliad: Book 23 , Homer
- 11. The Wargeilah Handicap , Banjo Paterson
- 12. ! Halloween Tale , Linda Ori
- 13. Ballad Of The Drover , Henry Lawson
- 14. Tamar , Robinson Jeffers
- 15. Thurso’s Landing , Robinson Jeffers
- 16. Fragments - Lines 1267 - 1270 , Theognis
- 17. My Horse And Me , Kathleen West
- 18. Good Cheer , Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson
- 19. Mother And Sphinx , Eugene Field
- 20. The Battle Of Culloden , William Topaz McGonagall
- 21. Battle Of Hastings - I , Thomas Chatterton
- 22. Wish Me Luck! , Geetha Jayakumar
- 23. Ashtaroth: A Dramatic Lyric , Adam Lindsay Gordon
- 24. Marshal Neigh, V.C. , Edward George Dyson
- 25. Mazeppa , George Gordon Byron
- 26. Bare-Back Rider (A Lucid Dream) , Sonya Florentino
- 27. A Hidden Life , George MacDonald
- 28. The Knight's Leap: A Legend Of Altenar , Charles Kingsley
- 29. Getting A Horse , Lonnie Hicks
- 30. The Sacrifice Of Er-Heb , Rudyard Kipling
- 31. A Cow , Mr. Bean
- 32. Antara , Wilfrid Scawen Blunt
- 33. The Wanderings Of Oisin: Book Iii , William Butler Yeats
- 34. The Wild Huntsman , Sir Walter Scott
- 35. Abu Midjan , George MacDonald
- 36. .... , RIC S. BASTASA
- 37. Kingsborough , Henry Kendall
- 38. Give Your Heart To The Hawks , Robinson Jeffers
- 39. The Lord Of The Isles: Canto Vi. , Sir Walter Scott
- 40. ***horse Draws Man A Cow , Sylvi Sylva
- 41. Horse Play , Ayyappa Paniker
- 42. The Secret Of Being A Cowboy , Catherynne M. Valente
- 43. Uncle Ned’s Tales: How The Flag Was Saved , John Boyle O'Reilly
- 44. The Loving Shepherdess , Robinson Jeffers
- 45. As I Sit Upon My Horse , Horse Poet
- 46. Me & My Horse , Horse Lover
- 47. Aaaaa Horses Are Heroes , S.zaynub Kamoonpuri
- 48. Color Blind , Ben Gieske
- 49. Orlando Furioso Canto 1 , Ludovico Ariosto
- 50. The Corduroy Road , William Henry Drummond
New Horse Poems
- The Song On Prophetic Oleg Alexander Ser.., Yuri Starostin
- Girl (Three) And The Black Horse, Rg Gregory
- The Poor Horse, Bireswar Halder
- Horses, Rhea Badhwar
- White Horses, Eleanor Farjeon
- King Of The Dung Heap!, Mark Heathcote
- Save The Race Horse-Play, rohan bendre
- 'Aah' Ad, Ima Ryma
- Keep Your Dream!, Raj DEVAN
- The Man Who Rode Alone, Vignesh Ramakrishnan
- carpe diem