Irony Poems - Poems For Irony
Poems about irony. You can read the best irony poems. Browse through all irony poems.
The Irony Of Love - Poem by Hal Caufield
Irony is a literary or rhetorical device.
The essayist Henry Watson Fowler wrote:
“any definition of irony
—though hundreds might be given,
and very few of them would be accepted—
must include this,
that the surface meaning
and the underlying meaning of
what is said are not the same.'
He left out that any definition of
Irony must include that it is cruel.
I never understood
The meaning of irony
Or how cruel it can be,
Until you told me,
That though you may love me,
You find it difficult to
Hear the words
“I love you” from me.
You see, some three years ago
You jokingly said
'I love you' to me,
And I begged you
Never to utter those words again.
Not because I did not want to hear them,
But because they were difficult for me.
They carried heart-felt consequences
That I did not want to face.
So, I shut out my heart and followed my head.
And in life filled with so many regrets,
It was the biggest mistake I ever made.
After some thousand days have past,
You uttered the same
Imprudent sentiment to me.
This sentiment is the definition of irony –
The surface meaning
And underlying meaning are not the same.
Because although I asked you not to say
“I love you”,
It is all I wanted to hear.
That now that heaven has at last
Blessed, cursed me with
Clarity of the heart,
And I want to say what I mean
With no different underlying sentiment,
You tell me you do not
Want to hear these words from me.
But the most ironic and cruelest part,
If you make the same mistake I made
And keep from me what is within your heart.
Comments about The Irony Of Love by Hal Caufield
Poems About Irony
- 51. The Irony Of Love , Hal Caufield
- 52. I Am A Question , dr. ram sharma
- 53. A Friend In Nature , Faith Elizabeth Brigham
- 54. Sensory Perception , RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 55. 14/11 Paris , oskar hansen
- 56. A Cinema's Aftermath , Indira Renganathan
- 57. The Satirist's Art In The Art Of Satire , Bijay Kant Dubey
- 58. Headbands Xx Xxx Xx Improvisati.. , Lee Mack
- 59. Warning: Irony And Others Ahead , Raj Arumugam
- 60. Distant Love , Ndubuisi Eke
- 61. The Birds In Some Angry People , RIC S. BASTASA
- 62. Irony And Unthinkability , gershon hepner
- 63. Stolen Sisters , Nassy Fesharaki
- 64. Irony Of Peace , dr. ram sharma
- 65. ! ! ! The Last Remembrance , Frank Lisa IndiRa Francesca ..
- 66. Mu2ic Man , Katz Haus
- 67. Irony , dr. ram sharma
- 68. The Prize , Theresa Ann Moore
- 69. Verse Of Love , Sanjukta Nag
- 70. If I Were To... , Chelsea Hunt
- 71. Suicide , Shalini Rao
- 72. A Flower Loses , Emmanuel George Cefai
- 73. The Gaiety Of Reflection , RIC S. BASTASA
- 74. The Champion , john chizoba vincent
- 75. Irony Of Things , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 76. The Irony Of Intellect. , Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- 77. Irony (10w) , Pradip Chattopadhyay
- 78. A Big Irony! , Ramesh T A
- 79. I Am Tired Of Simple One- Dimensional P.. , Shalom Freedman
- 80. The Irony , RIC S. BASTASA
- 81. A Metaphor For Weariness , RIC S. BASTASA
- 82. Irony , Joseph J. Hernandez
- 83. More Meaningful And Elegant Than This , Uriah Hamilton
- 84. Demons Lurk , Naveed Akram
- 85. Fractal Reflections , Jonathan ROBIN
- 86. Where Are The Words? , Shalom Freedman
- 87. Sense Of Lost , maria sudibyo
- 88. When You Are Gone , RIC S. BASTASA
- 89. Rod Mckuen Groupies , Ted Sheridan
- 90. The Irony Of One’s Life , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 91. Infamous , Is It Poetry
- 92. Irony Is The Last Refuge , Shalom Freedman
- 93. Old People With Big Ears , Dan Brown
- 94. Problems , Irish Shamrock
- 95. In Irony We Live, , Gwen Ong
- 96. 'I'M Not Ok' , Harley My Last Name
- 97. Hidden Meaning , Anna Ragin
- 98. Poetry , John Kielmeyer
- 99. Oh, Irony (Haiku) , William Blake Beckett
- 100. All Things , Jeffrey SpahrSummers
New Irony Poems
- The Amphitheatre And Ironies, Fawole Immanuel Taiwo
- The Nobel Prizes, Francie Lynch
- The Nature Of Reality, Winston Edgar Hall
- Violence Frightens Me, Shalom Freedman
- Haiku.5, Ovi Odiete
- What Is Poetry, I Asked, Bijay Kant Dubey
- A Dead Conscience, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Irony Of Life, Sulemana Adam
- The Irony Of Intellect., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Headbands Xx Xxx Xx Improvisati.., Lee Mack
- carpe diem