Poem about july. You can read the best july poems. Browse through all july poems.
61.Day of the Refugios
In Mexico and Latin America, celebrating one's
Saint's day instead of one's birthday is common.
I was born in Nogales, Arizona,
On the border between
Mexico and the United States.
The places in between places
They are like little countries
Themselves, with their own holidays
Taken a little from everywhere.
My Fourth of July is from childhood,
Childhood itself a kind of country, too.
It's a place that's far from me now,
A place I'd like to visit again.
The Fourth of July takes me there.
In that childhood place and border place
The Fourth of July, like everything else,
It meant more than just one thing.
In the United States the Fourth of July
It was the United States.
In Mexico it was the día de los Refugios,
The saint's day of people named Refugio.
I come from a family of people with names,
Real names, not-afraid names, with colors
Like the fireworks: Refugio,
Margarito, Matilde, Alvaro, Consuelo,
Humberto, Olga, Celina, Gilberto.
Names that take a moment to say,
Names you have to practice.
These were the names of saints, serious ones,
And it was right to take a moment with them.
I guess that's what my family thought.
The connection to saints was strong:
Mu grandmother's name--here it comes--
Her name was Refugio,
And my great-grandmother's name was Refugio,
And my mother-in-law's name now,
It's another Refugio, Refugios everywhere,
Refugios and shrimp cocktails and sodas.
Fourth of July was a birthday party
For all the women in my family
Going way back, a party
For everything Mexico, where they came from,
For the other words and the green
Tinted glasses my great-grandmother wore.
These women were me,
What I was before me,
So that birthday fireworks in the evening,
All for them,
This seemed right.
In that way the fireworks were for me, too.
Still, we were in the United States now,
And the Fourth of July,
Well, it was the Fourth of July.
But just what that meant,
In this border place and time,
it was a matter of opinion in my family. read more »
62.Butterflies And Kites...Goodnight
Balloons on strings,
Sailing, bouncing June
Into July kites skimming
Tails like afternoon read more »
63.#76 Haiku Poetic Pause
Oh my love I fear
I shall die of a broken
Heart away from you read more »
Ah, to be in Paris in the rain
The tower dripping wet
The pavement like moist sheets
Beneath our bodies read more »
65.(676) What Children Worry About
what’s going on in the world today? read more »
(Haiku written by Mary Naylor July 18,2007
The butterfly drifts read more »
Thick humid air of mid July
Eavesdrops the unheard chants
Fills the sky with gray tales of woes
Pours down the dire tears of blue read more »
68.Summer Heat Haiku
a line of ants moving
across Das Kapital read more »
peeling my pear
in a thin, unbroken spiral...
hometown memories read more »
70.Winter Mist Haiku
of veggie soup read more »
71.Christmas in July
Who says you have to have Christmas
Every single year in December?
Is there a rule or even a law?
If there is, I certainly don't remember. read more »
72.Chronicles Of Wasted Time
Another season gone
Winter, spring, summer, fall
Consumption of the clock on wall read more »
New July Poems
- Accum'd, Nicholas Crowson
- American Holidays, sherif monem
- 12th July, Alexander Onoja
- HAIKU 2, Cheryl Griffith
- Christmas in July, Marilyn Lott
- Do not leave us, Sadiqullah Khan
- Much Grief, Sadiqullah Khan
- Looking at the past, BrokenHeartPheko Motaung
- Surfers Beach, Nancy Terrell
- Those Good Tomatoes, Donal Mahoney
- THE W . . . . . R, A. P. Herbert
- Rites Of The Seventh Month, Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
- Havana Girls, Floral Flower
- Nature Of History, Masereka Amos
- July, Ruth Walters
- July, Vinz Poetry
- Summer Love (Haiku), Billy Lewis
- creepy visions, david gerardino
- July, Gregory Huyette
- Sometimes in June, Stella Omoregie
- The Seventh Month, Monty Gilmer
- The Fourth Of July (Love And Rockets Red.., Justin Gildow
- The 5th of July, Andrew Horsey
- July 21st,1980, Ricardo Antunes
- Young America, Carolyn Wells
- July, irum inayat
- July, Laa Finita
- The Sunny Months, Joyce Hemsley
- Autumn In July (rated in group), (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- Only On This Day..., (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- A Day Like No Other..., (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- That Autumn Day In Mid July., (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- Days Like This...Remind Me Of You, (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- New York... Not In Autum, (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- The Day...Was You, (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- Mid July? Or Not, (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- Autumn In July, (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- *930 RUBY BIRTHSTONE OF JULY, John Knight
- My Heart Is In July, Niji Chrys
- Autumn...Will Never Be The Same, (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- Autumn In July, Waldon Pond Productions
- I Will Smile, Tracey Tucker
- haiku - 216, Dagmara Anna AuraDagimar
- haiku - 202, Dagmara Anna AuraDagimar
- haiku - 193, Dagmara Anna AuraDagimar
- sunny spell (2), Maria Barbara Korynt
- July 4th, Roberto Fletchero
- ! JULY!, Rema Prasanaa
- ! SONG OF JULY!, Rema Prasanaa
- July, Gurpiar Sidhu
- July...., Natasha Ligons
- CANCER RISING, Aldo Kraas
- #83 Haiku Cotton Candy Clouds, A Poet Who Loves To Sing ... ..
- Who will save who?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- # 62 Haiku Winter Night, A Poet Who Loves To Sing ... ..
- Hatred evokes pity, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- ! ! ! MIND (Haiku) ! ! !, Rema Prasanaa
- Today sounds like Yesterday...., Jessie Li here
- July, Assorted Thoughts
- Fourth of july., Roy Storey
- Haiku # 89 Copy Cat, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Haiku #82 Listen To Your Heart, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Haiku # 82 Listen To Your Heart, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Haiku #81 Powder Puff Dreams, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Fragment III, Kay Barcelon
- Three Haiku, Mary Naylor
- Haiku #76 Poetic Pause ****, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Haiku #62 Winter Night, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- You Remind Me Of, TR Jones
- Damp Days, JoJo Bean
- Chronicles Of Wasted Time, JoJo Bean
- Goner Girl, Barry Van Allen
- Beginnings, David Harris
- It Was July, Vallerie Lobell
- carpe diem