Metaphor Poems - Poems For Metaphor
Poems about metaphor. You can read the best metaphor poems. Browse through all metaphor poems.
A Single Crane - Poem by Martin A. Ramos
The apprentice went to see his master.
Utensils in hand, the master sat under
The bough of a tree laden with cherry blossoms.
Master, you’re writing I see.
Shoulders hunched, the writer nodded.
Master, why do you write? the apprentice asked.
I write because for every cloudy day
There is the promise of rain.
I write because the wind buffets my face
And the salt spray stings it.
I write because the child who scrapes
Her knee needs comforting.
Ah, so you are inspired. Silvery eyebrows
Raised, the master looked at the other.
Very observant, young apprentice, he said.
After a pause, the apprentice said:
Is there another reason? One you haven’t mentioned?
I have never often pondered it, the master replied.
Surely it is important to know.
No doubt, the master said.
Do you write for fame? the apprentice asked.
Fame is ephemeral. It only comes to those
Who have the courage to work and wait.
Do you write for riches then?
The master pointed to himself. Look at this shell.
My robe is tattered and my sandals worn.
I write because if I didn’t, my life would seem empty.
Empty? Asked the apprentice. How?
Like a gourd out of which
All the water has been poured.
Surely this is metaphor, observed the apprentice.
Is it? The master asked. Writing is the stuff of metaphor.
As for the poet, so too for the writer of prose.
The Way is empty, yet never refills with use.
The apprentice shook his head. I am lost
Do not be, said the master. I write
So as to better discover the way.
Which way is that, master? The true way?
The way to myself. If that is the true way.
To be good at my craft, to enlighten, to entertain.
Then you write to please, observed the apprentice.
To please myself, yes, was the master’s reply.
And others? The audience perhaps?
Others, too, said the master. In essence,
I write because I love what I do.
There was silence. Scattering cherry blossoms
And loose leaves, the wind suddenly gusted.
Is it enough? The apprentice said,
To love what you do?
It is a start, is it not? The master waited.
Soon he said: Young apprentice?
Your inquisitiveness is commendable,
But the question you should be posing is …
Not why I write but why YOU write.
Oh? A pause, then:
Master, won’t you please come in?
The sun has faded and it’s getting cold.
Even the wind has picked up considerably.
The master sighed. He said:
See in the distance?
a single crane has disappeared
into a foggy bank.
Comments about A Single Crane by Martin A. Ramos
Poems About Metaphor
- 1. A Single Crane , Martin A. Ramos
- 2. Disclaimer , Glen Martin Fitch
- 3. The Ornate , Q. R. Gibson
- 4. Sometimes Poetry's More Similar To Polit.. , Heidi K. Haskell
- 5. You , Sakhile 85TEN25 Koaho
- 6. When I'Ll Die , Masa MbathaOpasha
- 7. Found Poem: Malamud On Metaphor , Monty Gilmer
- 8. Death , Haley cox
- 9. Love Is A Lullaby , Haley cox
- 10. Preconcious , barbara hilal
- 11. A Psalm For Today , James Tipp
- 12. Snakes And Mr. Baines , Curtisj Johnson
- 13. Metaphors , Kyungdae Min
- 14. Making Of A Poem , Jay P Narain
- 15. And As In Alice , Mary Jo Bang
- 16. You Won'T Believe Me. , Alison Rosalie
- 17. Inside Me , Abraham Sutzkever
- 18. My Zone , Ana Sanchez
- 19. Carry On Larkin/G , David Rudd Mitchell
- 20. Wires , Ndrek Gjini
- 21. Keep Love , Tevin Gilbert
- 22. Written Rap #1 , Aziz Akrish
- 23. The One , Julius Meierhofer
- 24. Foggy Incestuous Placation , dan hightower
- 25. Armenian Pearl , Scott Stanley Davis
- 26. Thick Curtain , Don Nguyen
- 27. I Wrote This During A Test , Albert Witz
- 28. Dreams , Boumaaza Fatima
- 29. Poetic Warrior , Sam Edison
- 30. Goofy Music Poem , Josh Brabender
- 31. Sonnet 3 , Anthony Parker
- 32. An Open Book , John Hubschman
- 33. Metaphor , Barbara Elizabeth Mercer
- 34. My Soul Hears , moon batchelder
- 35. Great Globs , moon batchelder
- 36. Some Poetry For Me , fleur the tulip sniper
- 37. Being Metaphor , Mary Angela Nangini
- 38. John Wednesday's Fatal Flaw , paul bamberger
- 39. The Heart Before The Probe , William Brendan McPhillips
- 40. Forbidden 6 , Prathibha Nandakumar
- 41. Divorced , Byron Headrick
- 42. Censored By Prudence , Ananta Madhavan
- 43. Alliterations M-O , Lento Maez
- 44. History Has Frozen Over , Fatos Arapi
- 45. Selected Imagery Based On Physical Gesture , Terese Svoboda
- 46. The Broken Hearted , Scott J. Shepard
- 47. Ba: Cxii: 'Loosening The 'Un' , douglas scotney
- 48. Signs Of The Craft , DarkShaya Naiyamoto
- 49. Transit , BONGOKOBIDA ZAKARIA
- 50. Ranting , Raven Ozera
New Metaphor Poems
- 1000 Years Of Peace, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Metaheart Xx Change Heart Xx Xxx .., Lee Mack
- Speaking Metaphorically, Naveed Akram
- The Daughter Of The Earth - 19, gajanan mishra
- Inside Me, Abraham Sutzkever
- Poet You'Re Suffering From 'Metaphor', Cecelia GrantPeters
- Written Rap #1, Aziz Akrish
- Haiku... A Poets Craft, Ken e Hall
- The One, Julius Meierhofer
- Paper Boat, Ferdinand L Quintos
- carpe diem