Music Poems - Poems For Music
Poems about music. You can read the best music poems. Browse through all music poems.
241.making sense of sound
SENSE OF SOUND
In Plato’s time fools used to say
there are no rules for music that you play.
Being law-abiding when you write
a piece of music often won’t excite
the fools who will demand of you to break
its laws, while claiming that the word mistake
doe not apply to music. It is pleasure
that’s their bottom line, every measure
composed in any manner the composer
may wish. I do not want to be imposer
of any law that may inhibit your
ability to write, but I feel sure
that ultimately it is only fools
who break in music, as in life, all rules.
In music as in life there’s right and wrong,
and both of them, in order to last long,
must follow norms, as Plato once declared.
a view that by this poet now is shared,
while hoping antinomians are not friendless,
like Wagner making melody that’s endless.
Music is a stock that never should be shorted.
Like any lover that you may have courted,
it follows rules on which you should go long,
avoiding dissonances that sound wrong,
except for all the ones that are resolved
like problems that in life that have been solved.
Only by preventing disappearance
of rules can life-like music reach coherence.
Inspired by Plato, cited in “Making Sense of Sound, ” by James F. Penrose in the WSJ, January 27,2010, reviewing Ruth Katz’s “A Language of Its Own, ” describing a grammar of music that evolved over the centuries without any overt instruction, giving an internal coherence to music and allowing it to adapt to cultural and social change, with a shared understanding between musicians and audiences. Penrose writes;
“Through foolishness they deceived themselves into thinking that there was no right or wrong way in music, that it was to be judged good or bad by the pleasure that it gave.” With these words Plato complained about the “promiscuous cleverness and a spirit of law-breaking” that characterized the music of the time—the fourth century B.C. Even then, it seems, music had a form and structure that guided its composition and performance, for “law-abiding” musicians anyway…. Beethoven, in Mr. Katz’s view, never damaged the system of harmonic tonality and “integrated” form, for all his iconoclasm. But a succession of composers––including Schumann, Liszt and, above all, Wagner––chipped away at coherence by preparing unprepared and unresolved chords, chromatic alterations, and above all modulations into remote keys. With his “unendlische Melodie (infinite melody) and other devices, Wagner savaged traditional musical structures even as he created astonishingly beautiful music. The gulf between past and present widened as the 20th century progressed––but there were pockets of resistance, Ms. Katz observes. Debussy joined the moderns in rebelling against the constraints of harmonic tonality but found coherence in modal forms and in melodic tonality. Composers like Bartok, Ravel and Janacek, though also pushing the boundaries of traditional harmony, appealed to the ear by retaining crucial elements of traditional tonality… [Ms Katz] is hopeful that musical tradition can regain its footing, perhaps by recreating the “abstracting” process that allowed Wesstern music, despite its inability to describe what it does, to beguile and fascinate us for so long.
1/27/10 read more »
242.Do You Still Dance?
The whispers in my mind are here again.
I know you don't hear them
but you're where they began.
I should have turned them off read more »
243.Music of a Vision.
If I could ever hear
The music, of a flower
Slowly unfurling to bloom
Blowing out kisses of perfume read more »
244.My Heart's Voice
Love is a feeling that can't be explained in words
Music is a sound that can't be expressed in words
Like Love and Music my heart has a voice
And must be heard read more »
The music starts
I am alone with my pain read more »
246.It's Music Not Noise
Love Music, Hate Noise
Music may heal you
Noise may irritate you
Different from every aspect. read more »
247.Music, My Life
Its music that wakes me up every morning
You can hear it even when people are mourning
Its music that makes everything great
By being everyone’s best mate read more »
248.THE GREAT REGGAE MUSIC
The great reggae music
Written by Selvin ‘Ewan’ McRae
It’s the music of the kings read more »
Can you feel the music,
As it calms your soul,
Music helps to keep us
on our feet. read more »
250.MUSIC IS PASSION
MUSIC IS PASSION,
MUSIC IS LIFE,
MUSIC WITH INSTRUMENTS,
TAKES YOU TO ANOTHER LIFE, read more »
The most beautiful thing I'll ever know
A music note
A note after another note read more »
252.Music, Heart, Soul
Music is in my heart.
Nothing can set us apart.
Music is in my head. read more »
New Music Poems
- Music Reduces Melancholy, Kumarmani Mahakul
- music everything, kkc bba
- The Music Comes By H.S.Bhatia, Bijay Kant Dubey
- MuSiC, Vanashree Mashelkar
- Music, brianne prestly
- Incidental Music, David Harris
- Ode To Music, Daegan Buckner
- Music man, Angel A. Lockwood
- Music, tayyeba mustafa
- Music, Destiny chesser
- Differences Music Politics, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- A Love Song, Emily Krauss
- Music Paints the World, Emily Krauss
- Adirondack Airs, Mark R Slaughter
- Music, Athena Benjamin
- Music Is Breath Of Life For Life Artists, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Music, chandra thiagarajan
- Music.... My LLife, (c) Vish.. Vishnu Gupta
- There Is No Beauty Like Music's Beauty, Shalom Freedman
- Festival Haiku - The Spasskaya Tower Int.., john tiong chunghoo
- music, sai srujana
- by yascel music, yascel rodriguez
- music, yascel rodriguez
- Music, ramesh rai
- Music, Meena Mustafa
- Music is..., Madeline anderson
- Music, Justine Welcome
- Music Notes, Aerin Andre
- Music Is Just Like Me, Bryan Maro
- Lord Of Music (Hari Ng Musika), Marites C. Cayetano
- My Perspective Of music In My Life<3, princess artis
- Music, Karley Kay
- Music, Blessing Ekpe
- Music, machelle harris
- MUSIC IS PASSION, SUDHIR DANIEL THOMAS
- I Wanted the Music of Another World, Shalom Freedman
- Music To Me, Aleigh Miller
- lost in the music, brittney crozier
- Music to Relax, Divyesh J. Shah
- Music Is Universal!, Ramesh T A
- Music can tell a story, Maria Luisa Taylor
- Mammary Tunes, Mark R Slaughter
- MUSIC, anees akbar
- Music, Kyle Froehlich.
- A MUSIC ETERNAL IS DIVINE!, Ramesh T A
- Freedom through music, Harrison Fairchild
- Music, Martina Salazar
- Music, Lillianne Rosewood
- Music is Heaven, Gita Ashok
- .....MUSIC IN OUR HEARTS, Ken e Hall
- Music, My Life, Rohan Saxena
- Street Music, Lesbia Harford
- Music Haiku, Ashley Avila
- Violin, Mark R Slaughter
- Music Man (The), David Thomas
- My music, Jamyia Herman
- musik 101, Thelma Flores
- MUSIC IS ENDLESS, Sreekala Sukumaran
- What is music?, Jessica Cole
- Music Is Life, Person You Don't Know
- The Music, Aaron Burr
- Music, Tracy Granucci
- Music, Shabz Aftermath
- Life without music, RiRi S...
- (-MuSiC-), Miranda Brewer
- Music, Naani Aslam
- what is music, robert otim
- Music, my favorite place, jackrabbit krjs
- The Piano Lurched, Mark R Slaughter
- Music……, Abhijit Surve
- Music, jackrabbit krjs
- music love, inno goosen
- music is what i live 4, tiki boo
- Music alone shall live, U. ashley ogonor
- carpe diem