Poem about narrative. You can read the best narrative poems. Browse through all narrative poems.
Narratives we tell to show
who we believe we are deceive
the listeners who are forced to go
with that one version they receive,
because we’ve may others we
can tell to different people to
impress them with our pedigree
and perspicacious points of view.
Do we from truth take long excursions
by changing tales about ourselves,
to find as many different versions
as books in volumes on our shelves?
No, there’s some truth in each refrain,
for every life is like a ballad
with different verses that explain
its variations, each as valid
as the next one, contradictions
all harmonized with disappearance
of prejudice about the fictions
that help to give the facts coherence.
Inspired by Benedict Carey, who writes about narratives we tell of our lives (“This Is Your Life (and How You Tell It, ” NYT, May 22,2007) :
For more than a century, researchers have been trying to work out the raw ingredients that account for personality, the sweetness and neuroses that make Anna Anna, the sluggishness and sensitivity that make Andrew Andrew. They have largely ignored the first-person explanation — the life story that people themselves tell about who they are, and why. Stories are stories, after all. The attractive stranger at the airport bar hears one version, the parole officer another, and the P.T.A. board gets something entirely different. Moreover, the tone, the lessons, even the facts in a life story can all shift in the changing light of a person’s mood, its major notes turning minor, its depths appearing shallow. Yet in the past decade or so a handful of psychologists have argued that the quicksilver elements of personal narrative belong in any three-dimensional picture of personality. And a burst of new findings are now helping them make the case. Generous, civic-minded adults from diverse backgrounds tell life stories with very similar and telling features, studies find; so likewise do people who have overcome mental distress through psychotherapy. Every American may be working on a screenplay, but we are also continually updating a treatment of our own life — and the way in which we visualize each scene not only shapes how we think about ourselves, but how we behave, new studies find. By better understanding how life stories are built, this work suggests, people may be able to alter their own narrative, in small ways and perhaps large ones. “When we first started studying life stories, people thought it was just idle curiosity — stories, isn’t that cool? ” said Dan P. McAdams, a professor of psychology at Northwestern and author of the 2006 book, “The Redemptive Self.” “Well, we find that these narratives guide behavior in every moment, and frame not only how we see the past but how we see ourselves in the future.” Researchers have found that the human brain has a natural affinity for narrative construction. People tend to remember facts more accurately if they encounter them in a story rather than in a list, studies find; and they rate legal arguments as more convincing when built into narrative tales rather than on legal precedent.
5/22/07 read more »
314.craft, faith and narrative
Craft, faith and narrative all fuse,
creating medieval art;
if you add the inspiration of the muse
you get the Bible. À la carte, read more »
I bumped into a guy
he said watch out
i told him hi
but he pushed me out read more »
316.is it love? narrative poem
I'm in love
wow' the candles smoking up
wax is diripping making shapes like love hearts'
I guess now this is where the journey starts read more »
317.Glancing Back at Never
I recognized signs. Green skies and still air.
You stopped saying I love you before I went to bed, just before I left you to do whatever you did while I slept.
But I was surprised when the tornado touched. It so long hovered above us.
The last time it twisted through our home, you, your lover and our money swirling through the air as you grabbed all you could, and tossed me outside to fly and fall to a hard landing. read more »
318.The picture of the Night- Narrative
As the giving sun sets
Beyond the rising peaks
Night takes its shape
Stars & Moon become the giver read more »
spectacle was fleeting,
moments shadowed our narrative, read more »
Tests, exams, quizzes, assessments!
Such a delightful, tasty little thing.
Essays, papers, problems, textbooks;
Such sweet treats are fit for a king. read more »
321.I once knew a girl
And her book of poems lulled her to sleep.
The whining, whimpering narratives of nature
That is not life, she knew, and you do too - read more »
The water is blackish, green, and dark.
It gathers from its separated state, gathers from rain, gathers into stream.
It gathers in the mountain.
It gathers then travels, collects to become brackish. read more »
323.If You Need a Poet Laureate
If you want a ballad
On a tragic conflict
Of important people,
With a little magic, read more »
Birds fly across the pale blue sky
cross-stitching a matrix in Pali—
a tongue now beautifully classical
like temple-toned Bharatanatyam. read more »
New Narrative Poems
- A spy, Kenneth Maswabi
- Crossman, Edward Kofi Louis
- We should, hasmukh amathalal
- The Question! ?, Frank Okoth
- Girish Karnad, Your Nagamandala, Not You.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- HAPPY BORN DAY ALVIN, Alvin Word Speaker Tatlhego
- Dalit Literature, Let Them Write, You Wr.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Dalit's Case, Why Are They Handling?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Evocation & Imagination, Maria C. Pires Costa
- Touch not, gajanan mishra
- Narrative, Juliana Spahr
- A Sense of Sumptuousness: A Found Poem, Frank Avon
- art uncle jude, binod bastola
- Itinerary, Roberto Tejada
- I Boomerang, Michelle Claus
- Nameless, Charles Monroe
- Revelation's Finale' - So Close..., MoonBee Canady
- Living In Paradise, Lento Maez
- Respectful Narratives, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Definition Of Poetry, Bijay Kant Dubey
- From This Bridge, michael oliver
- From the bridge revised version, michael oliver
- Portrait, of i, Owen Bittner
- Invent Colors, gajanan mishra
- élan vital, Tori Pleasent
- Horns of Hattin, Mason Maestro
- Alankar(Decor) -98, Indira Renganathan
- Muir Woods, William B. Deutscher
- Portrait of a Poet, Leaking Pen
- Terrestrial Trance, Mason Maestro
- Which Is; Which Is, Luis Estable
- Whoever Did It: Cruel!, Luis Estable
- Mimesis: Morphed Magnetic Disks, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- The Literal Pain, RIC S. BASTASA
- I Drown In Words, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Leitmotif, Udaya Pant
- PANTHEON, Satish Verma
- God's Repentance On Yom Kippur, gershon hepner
- I once knew a girl, bill nye the science guy
- Sparrows, Chester Maynes
- Chells memory, michael oliver
- The Stories, Mohammed AlBalushi
- Mimesis: Morphed Magnetscheibe, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Political Warriors, Buxton Shippy
- Search, C. P. Sharma
- Soil, Alexander Keli
- To a Wasted Life, David Blake
- An ode to Russ Ligtas’ butoh performance.., Liyo Denorte
- The Poems Bring Me Back To Myself, Shalom Freedman
- typhoon, RIC S. BASTASA
- envy, envy, sad eyes, RIC S. BASTASA
- i like the way you write, RIC S. BASTASA
- BEATING THE BUSH, RIC S. BASTASA
- It Seems the English, Patti Masterman
- something is wrong, adil khan
- memory warp, , fraud and freud, gershon hepner
- Dance of Life, Nirmal Kumar Mishra
- poetry, not prose, gershon hepner
- Felons and Talons, Naveed Akram
- The Letter (iii), Jacqui Thewless
- Maya, Ilham Ahmed
- Hymn of the Bonekeeper(minor), Joshua Lee
- The classics, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Story of My Name, Naveed Akram
- The King's Summons, Herbert Nehrlich 2
- Ballet Rosette, Ahmad Shiddiqi
- Ballade d'amour, Ahmad Shiddiqi
- triptych, gershon hepner
- craft, faith and narrative, gershon hepner
- Most Fables, shimon weinroth
- Wayang Kulit, Ahmad Shiddiqi
- Kebyar Dance, Ahmad Shiddiqi
- Legong Dance, Ahmad Shiddiqi
- That long silence, Moushumi moushumi
- carpe diem