Paris Poems - Poems For Paris
Poems about paris. You can read the best paris poems. Browse through all paris poems.
The People's Reminiscences - Poem by Pierre Jean de Beranger
(LES SOUVENIRS DU PEUPLE)
Ay, many a day the straw-thatched cot
Shall echo with his glory!
The humblest shed, these fifty years,
Shall know no other story.
There shall the idle villagers
To some old dame resort,
And beg her with those good old tales
To make their evenings short.
'What though they say he did us harm?
Our love this cannot dim;
Come, granny, talk of him to us;
Come, granny, talk of him.'
'Well, children--with a train of kings,
Once he passed by this spot;
'Twas long ago; I had but just
Begun to boil the pot.
On foot he climbed the hill, whereon
I watched him on his way:
He wore a small three-cornered hat;
His overcoat was gray.
I was half frightened till he said
'Good day, my dear!' to me.'
'O granny, granny, did he speak?
What, granny! you and he?'
'Next year, as I, poor soul, by chance
Through Paris strolled one day,
I saw him taking, with his court,
To Notre Dame his way.
The crowd were charmed with such a show;
Their hearts were filled with pride:
'What splendid weather for the fete!
Heaven favors him!' they cried.
Softly he smiled, for God had given
To his fond arms a boy.'
'Oh, how much joy you must have felt!
O granny, how much joy!'
'But when at length our poor Champagne
By foes was overrun,
He seemed alone to hold his ground;
Nor dangers would he shun.
One night--as might be now--I heard
A knock--the door unbarred--
And saw--good God! 'twas he, himself,
With but a scanty guard.
'Oh, what a war is this!' he cried,
Taking this very chair.'
'What! granny, granny, there he sat?
What! granny, he sat there?'
''I'm hungry,' said he: quick I served
Thin wine and hard brown bread;
He dried his clothes, and by the fire
In sleep dropped down his head.
Waking, he saw my tears--'Cheer up,
Good dame!' says he, 'I go
'Neath Paris' walls to strike for France
One last avenging blow.'
He went; but on the cup he used
Such value did I set--
It has been treasured.'--'What! till now?
You have it, granny, yet?'
'Here 'tis: but 'twas the hero's fate
To ruin to be led;
He whom a Pope had crowned, alas!
In a lone isle lies dead.
'Twas long denied: 'No, no,' said they,
'Soon shall he reappear!
O'er ocean comes he, and the foe
Shall find his master here.'
Ah, what a bitter pang I felt,
When forced to own 'twas true!'
'Poor granny! Heaven for this will look--
Will kindly look on you.'
Comments about The People's Reminiscences by Pierre Jean de Beranger
Poems About Paris
- 1. The People's Reminiscences , Pierre Jean de Beranger
- 2. Paris , Nassy Fesharaki
- 3. Orlando Furioso Canto 8 , Ludovico Ariosto
- 4. Viva Le France , Charles Hice
- 5. Abishag , gershon hepner
- 6. London To Paris , Joyce Hemsley
- 7. Helen , Giorgos Seferis
- 8. Daily Blessing , Bill Grace
- 9. Capriccio , Daniel Brick
- 10. Paris Song , Aldo Kraas
- 11. Helen Of Troy , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 12. White Rose From The Atlas , Atef Ayadi
- 13. Ce Que Je Veux Faire (What I Want To Do) , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 14. :) On Paris Hilton , Bill Grace
- 15. Travel Haiku - New York City Central Park , john tiong chunghoo
- 16. Three Cute Tiny Angry Ants , Heather Schroer
- 17. December In Paris , oskar hansen
- 18. Paris Rain , Windsor Guadalupe Jr
- 19. M.Tsvetaeva, In Paris - Translation (Rus.) , Lyudmila Purgina
- 20. Travel Haiku - Spring In Paris , john tiong chunghoo
- 21. The Murder Of The Orient Express , Joe Rosochacki
- 22. Affairs In Paris , sallam yassin
- 23. Defending Helen Of Troy , gershon hepner
- 24. Through Paris 1970 , Terry Collett
- 25. En Paris Ces'T Ma Maison , Peter LeBuhn
- 26. Paris You Are Always In My Heart , Aldo Kraas
- 27. Writing Poetry Late At Night After My Wi.. , Bill Grace
- 28. Road From Paris 1970 , Terry Collett
- 29. My First Love , Peter LeBuhn
- 30. The Lady Beatriz.Romance.From The Spanis.. , Lady Jane Wilde
- 31. Ghost Of Paris , Joseph Narusiewicz
- 32. Haiku Eight Homeless Dead , Jonathan ROBIN
- 33. Problem Solving , chris bowen, a.k.a to wit
- 34. Our Last Tango , Marieta Maglas
- 35. Travel Haiku - Nevada , john tiong chunghoo
- 36. Americans In Paris , gershon hepner
- 37. Pink , chris bowen, a.k.a to wit
- 38. Cemetery Gloom / Dark Angel , Lilly Emery
- 39. Darken Dreams / Dark Angel , Lilly Emery
- 40. Limerick: Once Cute Pute In Gay Paris Ca.. , T (no first name) Wignesan
- 41. Paris , Marta Xoxx
- 42. Parisian Boulangeries-Patisseries , Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- 43. The Young Woman From Paris In France , Francis Duggan
- 44. Ooh-La-La Oompa-Loompa , Joe Rosochacki
- 45. The Idler’s Calendar. Twelve Sonnets Fo.. , Wilfrid Scawen Blunt
- 46. Qualifications , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 47. My Beautiful Lady , Framarz Bagheri
- 48. Doublethink , gershon hepner
- 49. Baton , gershon hepner
- 50. Larence Of Judaea , gershon hepner
New Paris Poems
- Modigliani!, Anahit Arustamyan
- Paris Pains, Lilly Emery
- The Streets Of Paris, Lilly Emery
- Paris Rains / Dark Angel, Lilly Emery
- Paris Love And Empty Dreams / Dark Angel, Lilly Emery
- Empty Dreams, Lilly Emery
- Dinner Of 3 With Jealousy, Russell Crow
- Paris Forever, Milan Georges Burovac
- Alba-Vagrant, Fayad Jamis
- Into The City Of Light., michael walker
- carpe diem