Retirement Poems - Poems For Retirement
Poems about retirement. You can read the best retirement poems. Browse through all retirement poems.
The Rat That Withdrew From The World (Trans. De La Fontaine) - Poem by Pete Crowther
The Levantines in legends say
There was a rat who turned away
From worldly cares and mortal strife
To live a holy hermit’s life.
His hermitage was a round Dutch cheese
On which he’d used his expertise
With tooth and claw to make a nest
Wherein to feast and take his rest.
This rat grew fat and rather stout
For God is good to souls devout.
One day there came a deputation
To this great soul, from the rattish nation
Seeking alms with which to bribe
An army of the feline tribe
Which was encamped around their city,
A cruel foe that would not pity
Their baby rats or much loved does.
“We’ll pay you back, God only knows! ”
The august person hummed and haw’d,
He said their case was truly hard
But his own funds, alas, were meant
To cushion his retirement—
Provision for a rainy day,
So his advice to them was: Pray
For heaven’s help in their sad plight
And God would surely set things right.
He blessed them all and then withdrew
Now that he’d told them what to do.
How would you rate this noble rat—
A Christian saint or a diplomat?
A Christian saint he could not be
For Christians preach charity.
Comments about The Rat That Withdrew From The World (Trans. De La Fontaine) by Pete Crowther
Poems About Retirement
- 1. The Rat That Withdrew From The World (Tr.. , Pete Crowther
- 2. By Chance, While Jogging , Laurence Overmire
- 3. No Poems , hasmukh amathalal
- 4. Money And You , veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- 5. The Workaholic , Francis Duggan
- 6. 'Peace And Love' Tanka For Neil Young , Chenou Liu
- 7. Happy Old Face , Marvin Brato Sr
- 8. Human Existence On Earth , Julius Babarinsa
- 9. The Ages Of The Sea , Robert Rorabeck
- 10. Nothing , Aparna Chatterjee
- 11. A State Of Mind , Rod Morris
- 12. Retirement , Elena Plotkin
- 13. In Praise Of Older Lovers , gershon hepner
- 14. Service Book. , Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- 15. Four Quarters , gajanan mishra
- 16. An Aged Veteran Of World War 2 , Francis Duggan
- 17. 'Pre-Retired' , Linda Winchell
- 18. O Captain, My Captain! (The Hockey Versi.. , Mark J. Schulte
- 19. May Day Wishes , Uma Ram
- 20. Fade Away , gershon hepner
- 21. Time Rages At The Quiet Of My Soul , Shalom Freedman
- 22. Too Old To Work And Too Young To Die , Francis Duggan
- 23. Murder By Association , Ray Lucero
- 24. Stress = God Is In Control , Tom Zart
- 25. Habemus Novum Papam , Hebert Logerie
- 26. Retirement , Toshie Nohara
- 27. Retirement , Chris Poythress
- 28. At Least That's My Excuse. For J.T.Ellison , ivor or ivor.e hogg
- 29. One Generation Sacrificed , Jonathan ROBIN
- 30. Stand Aside John Howard , Francis Duggan
- 31. One Voice , Carolyn Brunelle
- 32. The President Of War , Francis Duggan
- 33. A Wife And Her Benefits , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 34. Police, Fire & Emt , Luke Easter
- 35. Break Loose , ivor or ivor.e hogg
- 36. Do You Feel That You Are Quite Powerless , Francis Duggan
- 37. Dic , Herbert Nehrlich
- 38. John Howard In Retirement , Francis Duggan
- 39. Perhaps I Will Never More See Him , Francis Duggan
- 40. No Retirement , gajanan mishra
- 41. Once The Old Were Those Who Had Little T.. , Shalom Freedman
- 42. Debit The Window Side , Rajaram Ramachandran
- 43. Darkness, How It Is Felt. , Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- 44. Goody-Goody , Robert Rorabeck
- 45. 'Is That All There Is? ' , Linda Winchell
- 46. Take His Advice , Aldo Kraas
- 47. Enduring Faith , Dr John Celes
- 48. Best Time , Diana Rose
- 49. I Am Not A Poet , Stug Jordan
- 50. Retirement. , Syed Anwar Yarkhan Jilani
New Retirement Poems
- Virus, Nassy Fesharaki
- Enjoy Retirement Dave (Bussokusekika), Blu 1 Blu 1 (Rio de Janeiro)
- Memories Are Made Of This....., James B. Earley
- May Day Wishes, Uma Ram
- Retirement, ramesh rai
- Position To Hold, hasmukh amathalal
- Foremost Among The Finest!, Stanley Collymore
- The Spoils Of Retirement, david kush
- Retirement, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Jobless Asses And Horses, Bijay Kant Dubey
- carpe diem