Television Poems - Poems For Television
Poems about television. You can read the best television poems. Browse through all television poems.
Television - Poem by Roald Dahl
The most important thing we've learned,
So far as children are concerned,
Is never, NEVER, NEVER let
Them near your television set --
Or better still, just don't install
The idiotic thing at all.
In almost every house we've been,
We've watched them gaping at the screen.
They loll and slop and lounge about,
And stare until their eyes pop out.
(Last week in someone's place we saw
A dozen eyeballs on the floor.)
They sit and stare and stare and sit
Until they're hypnotised by it,
Until they're absolutely drunk
With all that shocking ghastly junk.
Oh yes, we know it keeps them still,
They don't climb out the window sill,
They never fight or kick or punch,
They leave you free to cook the lunch
And wash the dishes in the sink --
But did you ever stop to think,
To wonder just exactly what
This does to your beloved tot?
IT ROTS THE SENSE IN THE HEAD!
IT KILLS IMAGINATION DEAD!
IT CLOGS AND CLUTTERS UP THE MIND!
IT MAKES A CHILD SO DULL AND BLIND
HE CAN NO LONGER UNDERSTAND
A FANTASY, A FAIRYLAND!
HIS BRAIN BECOMES AS SOFT AS CHEESE!
HIS POWERS OF THINKING RUST AND FREEZE!
HE CANNOT THINK -- HE ONLY SEES!
'All right!' you'll cry. 'All right!' you'll say,
'But if we take the set away,
What shall we do to entertain
Our darling children? Please explain!'
We'll answer this by asking you,
'What used the darling ones to do?
'How used they keep themselves contented
Before this monster was invented?'
Have you forgotten? Don't you know?
We'll say it very loud and slow:
THEY ... USED ... TO ... READ! They'd READ and READ,
AND READ and READ, and then proceed
To READ some more. Great Scott! Gadzooks!
One half their lives was reading books!
The nursery shelves held books galore!
Books cluttered up the nursery floor!
And in the bedroom, by the bed,
More books were waiting to be read!
Such wondrous, fine, fantastic tales
Of dragons, gypsies, queens, and whales
And treasure isles, and distant shores
Where smugglers rowed with muffled oars,
And pirates wearing purple pants,
And sailing ships and elephants,
And cannibals crouching 'round the pot,
Stirring away at something hot.
(It smells so good, what can it be?
Good gracious, it's Penelope.)
The younger ones had Beatrix Potter
With Mr. Tod, the dirty rotter,
And Squirrel Nutkin, Pigling Bland,
And Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and-
Just How The Camel Got His Hump,
And How the Monkey Lost His Rump,
And Mr. Toad, and bless my soul,
There's Mr. Rat and Mr. Mole-
Oh, books, what books they used to know,
Those children living long ago!
So please, oh please, we beg, we pray,
Go throw your TV set away,
And in its place you can install
A lovely bookshelf on the wall.
Then fill the shelves with lots of books,
Ignoring all the dirty looks,
The screams and yells, the bites and kicks,
And children hitting you with sticks-
Fear not, because we promise you
That, in about a week or two
Of having nothing else to do,
They'll now begin to feel the need
Of having something to read.
And once they start -- oh boy, oh boy!
You watch the slowly growing joy
That fills their hearts. They'll grow so keen
They'll wonder what they'd ever seen
In that ridiculous machine,
That nauseating, foul, unclean,
Repulsive television screen!
And later, each and every kid
Will love you more for what you did.
Comments about Television by Roald Dahl
Poems About Television
- 1. Television , Roald Dahl
- 2. To Television , Robert Pinsky
- 3. Little Black Box Called Television! , Sylvia Chidi
- 4. Television Addiction , Dr Hitesh Sheth
- 5. Television (Senryu) , Kelly Kurt
- 6. Ode To Television Or Why This Isn'T The .. , Nadalia Bagratuni
- 7. Television , Wayne Leon Learmond
- 8. Top This Television Moment , Jeffrey SpahrSummers
- 9. Television , Baidurya Mukherjee
- 10. A Soulful Song For The Black And White T.. , Sachin Ketkar
- 11. Television And Watches 412b , DAVID GERARDINO
- 12. Analogue Television , Diane Hine
- 13. She Saw A Man On Television , Sophia White
- 14. Those Television Channels , Indira Renganathan
- 15. Television- The Idiot Box , hariharans sundaram
- 16. Mother Teresa (13) The Television Interv.. , Rajaram Ramachandran
- 17. Mubarak’s Television Speech Orders Coded.. , Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- 18. Television , chandra thiagarajan
- 19. Television Shows , Hasmukh Amathalal
- 20. Listening To The Radio And Television , RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 21. Hebrews 10: 24-25 & Television Ministries , Luke Easter
- 22. Television Takes Control , Paula Glynn
- 23. Small Television , Naveed Akram
- 24. Vision Or Television , Ray Lucero
- 25. Cable Television , Theresa Ann Moore
- 26. A Strike Of Television-Induced Inspiration , Amanda Saveley
- 27. Television Footage , Theorem The Truth Serum
- 28. Without Television , Jonathan Goldman a.k.a JGthe ..
- 29. This Damn Television , Randy Johnson
- 30. Television Survival Drama , Bill Grace
- 31. The Anti 24 Hour Television Program From.. , Maria Sudibyo
- 32. The Glow Of The Fading Evening's Televis.. , Robert Rorabeck
- 33. Religious Television , Michael P. Johnson
- 34. The Spider Behind The Television , Paula Glynn
- 35. Both Film And Television, The Great Star , Luo Zhihai
- 36. Like Television , Hasmukh Amathalal
- 37. Television Is Not Your Friend (Television) , R.K. Cowles
- 38. I Started Watching Television Again , Denis Kucharski
- 39. Television , Gary Diamond
- 40. Alone In The Darkness, Watching Televisi.. , Gus Schreiber
- 41. Television , Shaun William Hayes
- 42. Television , Pierre Rausch
- 43. Television , Ilania Cyaalá
- 44. Television , Paul Butters
- 45. Promiseland Television Network Or (Mike).. , Joe Rosochacki
- 46. Living In A Television , anteaus berryhill
- 47. Television , smriti chhibber
- 48. Television , KAUSHAL SABOO
- 49. 'Love Mexican Style' Is Not A Reality Te.. , Oscar Mireles
- 50. Reality Television , Anonymous Person
New Television Poems
- Health - The Healthy Electrocution, Paul Warren
- Bad Television, Keith Rushing
- Television, Aishwarya J.Menon
- Route 66, Curtisj Johnson
- Indian Ghost Song, Joseph DeMarco
- Will John Key Resign: A Snowflakes Chanc.., Terence George Craddock (aft ..
- Turning The Other Cheek, Donal Mahoney
- Bachelorette For Life, Donal Mahoney
- Sedina, Edward Kofi Louis
- Home Alone, Kela LewisMorin
- carpe diem