Thomas Lux Poems
- "I Love You Sweatheart" A man risked his life to write the ...
- A Little Tooth Your baby grows a tooth, then two, and four, ...
- Refrigerator, 1957 More like a vault -- you pull the handle ...
- A Library Of Skulls
- The Man Into Whose Yard You Sh...
- A Kiss One wave falling forward meets another wave ...
- Motel Seedy The artisans of this room, who designed the lamp ...
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
"I Love You Sweatheart"
A man risked his life to write the words.
A man hung upside down (an idiot friend
holding his legs?) with spray paint
to write the words on a girder fifty feet above
a highway. And his beloved,
the next morning driving to work...?
His words are not (meant to be) so unique.
Does she recognize his handwriting?
Did he hint to her at her doorstep the night before
of "something special, darling, tomorrow"?
And did he call her at work
expecting her to faint with delight
at his celebration of her, his passion, his risk?
She will know I love her now,