Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis
Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis Poems
- The Circus Hey, there! Hoop-la! the circus is in town! Have...
- Hist! Hist! . . . . . . Hark! The night is very dark, And ...
- An Echo From Africa Da ruction happen by Nicko's place Las' ...
- The Dominant Male Your place is by my side, my ...
- Growing Up
- The Ant Explorer Once a little sugar ant made up his mind to ...
- A Dogs' View I'm only just a common racing dog, Simple in ...
Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis, better known as C. J. Dennis, was an Australian poet known for his humorous poems, especially "The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke", published in the early 20th century. Though Dennis's work is less well known today, his 1916 publication of The Sentimental Bloke sold 65,000 copies in its first year, and by 1917 he was the most prosperous poet in Australian history.
Together with Banjo Paterson and Henry Lawson, both of whom he collaborated with, he is often considered among Australia's three most famous poets.
When he died at the age of 61, the Prime Minister of Australia Joseph Lyons suggested he was destined to be ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Hey, there! Hoop-la! the circus is in town!
Have you seen the elephant? Have you seen the clown?
Have you seen the dappled horse gallop round the ring?
Have you seen the acrobats on the dizzy swing?
Have you seen the tumbling men tumble up and down?
Hoop-la! Hoop-la! the circus is in town!
Hey, there! Hoop-la! Here's the circus troupe!
Here's the educated, dog jumping through the hoop.
See the lady Blondin with the parasol and fan,
The lad upon the ladder and the india-rubber man.
See the joyful juggler and the boy who loops the loop.
Hey! Hey! Hey! ...