James Fenton Poems
- THE ALIBI My mind was racing. It was some years from ...
- HOW CAN THE HEART LIVE? How can the heart live that loved ...
- THE WATCHER IN THE SQUARE I wake in the night with a ...
- YELLOW TULIPS Looking into the vase, into the calyx, into the...
- WAS THAT YOUR IDEA OF LOVE? Was that your idea of love? Was ...
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about James Fenton
Looking into the vase, into the calyx, into the water drop,
Looking into the throat of the flower, at the pollen stain,
I can see the ambush love sprung once in the summery wood.
I can see the casualties where they lay, till they set forth again.
I can see the lips, parted first in surprise, parted in desire,
Smile now as a silence falls on the yellow-dappled ride
For each thinks the other can hear each receding thought
On each receding tide.
They have come out of the wood now. They are skirting the fields
Between the tall wheat and the hedge, on the ...