John Thorkild Ellison
John Thorkild Ellison Poems
- Poetry Can Damage Your Health The day my doctor died of ...
- Epiphany Outside the surge of the wind, the wind in the ...
- A Certainty </>Blond bicycles writhe in the swimming ...
- A Monody In spite of my pain, Inexplicable sweet strands of...
- A Day In March Through the window the still yard. A cat runs...
- A Fantasy I wandered in a dream And heard bluebells chime by...
- Sex You've finally made me realise Love's just a squirt ...
For biography, please see my poem 'The Failed Mystic'. more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Poetry Can Damage Your Health
The day my doctor died of smoking
I bought myself a fat cigar -
I realised he must be joking,
His funeral was so bizarre:
A dwarf in multi-coloured clothing
Sang louder than the parish choir
And though my heart was full of loathing
I leapt upon the funeral pyre.
I'd often longed for such a roasting
And knew it was my friend's desire,
I shouted out 'We'll all be toasting
In Hell's incandescent fire! '
Don't be discouraged by this story,
Smoking cigarettes is fine,
Inhale them on your days of glory
And drink your fill of rich, red ...