Paul Verlaine Poems
- Il Pleure Dans Mon Coeur Il pleure dans mon coeur Comme il ...
- Chanson D'Automne Leaf-strewing gales Utter low wails Like ...
- Clair De Lune Your soul is as a moonlit landscape fair, ...
- Autumn Song With long sobs the violin-throbs of autumn ...
- The Young Fools (Les Ingénus) High-heels were struggling with...
- Moonlight Your soul is like a painter's landscape ...
- Birds In The Night You were not over-patient with me, ...
Paul-Marie Verlaine (30 March 1844 – 8 January 1896) was a French poet associated with the Symbolist movement. He is considered one of the greatest representatives of the fin de siècle in international and French poetry.
Born in Metz, he was educated at the Lycée impérial Bonaparte (now the Lycée Condorcet) in Paris and then took up a post in the civil service. He began writing poetry at an early age, and was initially influenced by the Parnassien movement and its leader, Leconte de Lisle. Verlaine's first published poem was published in 1863 in La Revue du progrès, a publication founded by poet Louis-Xavier de Ricard. Verlaine was a frequenter of the salon of the Marquise de ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Quotationsmore quotations »
''All the rest is mere fine writing.''Paul Verlaine (1844-1896), French poet. "L'Art Poetique," Jadis et Naguère (1884).
Il Pleure Dans Mon Coeur
Il pleure dans mon coeur
Comme il pleut sur la ville.
Quelle est cette langueur
Qui pénêtre mon coeur ?
O bruit doux de la pluie
Par terre et sur les toits !
Pour un coeur qui s’ennuie,
O le chant de la pluie !
Il pleure sans raison
Dans ce coeur qui s’écoeure.
Quoi ! nulle trahison ?
Ce deuil est sans raison.
C’est bien la pire peine
De ne savoir pourquoi,
Sans amour et sans haine,
Mon coeur a tant de peine.
It Rains in My Heart (English translation)
It rains in my heart
As it rains on the town,
What languor so ...