X Things My Jamaican Mother Taught Me X - Poem by Lisa Anderson
X Things My Jamaican Mother Taught Me X
1. My Mother taught me about ANTICIPATION
'Just wait till we get home.'
2. My Mother taught me about RECEIVING.
'You going get a ass'n when we get home! '
3. My Mother taught me to MEET A CHALLENGE.
'What di backside yu thinkin'? Answer me when me talk to you...Don't
back to me! '
4. My Mother taught me CONSEQUENCES.
'If yu run cross de road an' cyar lick yu dung, a goin' kill yu wid
5. My Mother taught me THE VALUE OF EDUCATION.
'If yu no go a school, yu a go tun tief or walk an' pick up bottle.'
6. My Mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
'If yu tun over yu eye lid an fly pitch pan it, it a go stay so fi
7. My Mother taught me to THINK AHEAD.
'Is not one time monkey goin' wan' wife'
8. My Mother taught me ESP.
'Yu tink a don't know what yu up to nuh? '
9. My Mother taught me HUMOR.
'If yu don' eat food, breeze goin' blow yu 'way.'
10. My Mother taught me how to BECOME AN ADULT.
'Come an' tek yu beatin' like man.'
11. My Mother taught me about SEX.
'Yu tink say yu dropp from sky? '
12. My Mother taught me about GENETICS.
'Yu jus' like yu faada.'
13. My Mother taught me about my ROOTS.
'Yu tink mi come from 'Back A Wall? '
14. My Mother taught me about WISDOM OF AGE.
'When yu get to be as ol' as me, yu wi understan'.'
15. And my all time favorite... JUSTICE.
'One day wen yu have pickney, a hope dem treat yu same way.'
16. My mother taught me about abstinence and safe sex.
'Bwoy, when yu have yu own pickney.. dey will be JUST LIKE YU! ! ! ! '
Copyright © ®2009, By Lisa Andeson
Comments about X Things My Jamaican Mother Taught Me X by Lisa Anderson
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
- Still I RiseMaya Angelou
- The Road Not TakenRobert Frost
- If You Forget MePablo Neruda
- DreamsLangston Hughes
- Annabel LeeEdgar Allan Poe
- IfRudyard Kipling
- Stopping By Woods On A Snowy EveningRobert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And WeepMary Elizabeth Frye
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love YouPablo Neruda
- TelevisionRoald Dahl