Baby Poems - Poems For Baby - Portrait Of A Baby - Poem by Stephen Vincent Benet | Poem Hunter
Poems about baby. You can read the best baby poems. Browse through all baby poems.
Portrait Of A Baby - Poem by Stephen Vincent Benet
He lay within a warm, soft world
Of motion. Colors bloomed and fled,
Maroon and turquoise, saffron, red,
Wave upon wave that broke and whirled
To vanish in the grey-green gloom,
Perspectiveless and shadowy.
A bulging world that had no walls,
A flowing world, most like the sea,
Compassing all infinity
Within a shapeless, ebbing room,
An endless tide that swells and falls . . .
He slept and woke and slept again.
As a veil drops Time dropped away;
Space grew a toy for children's play,
Sleep bolted fast the gates of Sense --
He lay in naked impotence;
Like a drenched moth that creeps and crawls
Heavily up brown, light-baked walls,
To fall in wreck, her task undone,
Yet somehow striving toward the sun.
So, as he slept, his hands clenched tighter,
Shut in the old way of the fighter,
His feet curled up to grip the ground,
His muscles tautened for a bound;
And though he felt, and felt alone,
Strange brightness stirred him to the bone,
Cravings to rise -- till deeper sleep
Buried the hope, the call, the leap;
A wind puffed out his mind's faint spark.
He was absorbed into the dark.
He woke again and felt a surge
Within him, a mysterious urge
That grew one hungry flame of passion;
The whole world altered shape and fashion.
Deceived, befooled, bereft and torn,
He scourged the heavens with his scorn,
Lifting a bitter voice to cry
Against the eternal treachery --
Till, suddenly, he found the breast,
And ceased, and all things were at rest,
The earth grew one warm languid sea
And he a wave. Joy, tingling, crept
Throughout him. He was quenched and slept.
So, while the moon made broad her ring,
He slept and cried and was a king.
So, worthily, he acted o'er
The endless miracle once more.
Facing immense adventures daily,
He strove still onward, weeping, gaily,
Conquered or fled from them, but grew
As soil-starved, rough pine-saplings do.
Till, one day, crawling seemed suspect.
He gripped the air and stood erect
And splendid. With immortal rage
He entered on man's heritage!
Comments about Portrait Of A Baby by Stephen Vincent Benet
Poems About Baby
- 1. Baby Picture , Anne Sexton
- 2. A Baby In The House , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 3. Baby Mine , Ernestine Northover
- 4. Little Brown Baby , Paul Laurence Dunbar
- 5. ! Baby Love, Maybe Love , Michael Shepherd
- 6. The Lost Baby Poem , Lucille Clifton
- 7. Baby Charley. , Sidney Lanier
- 8. (013) My Baby Cousin (Lovely Z.. , Risha Ahmed (12 yrs)
- 9. (022) Waiting For The Baby , Risha Ahmed (12 yrs)
- 10. A Baby Asleep After Pain , David Herbert Lawrence
- 11. Sweet Baby , Linda Ori
- 12. His Wife And Baby , Isabella Valancy Crawford
- 13. A Baby Running Barefoot , David Herbert Lawrence
- 14. (l) 5 (My Baby) My Inner Sun , Renu Rakheja a.k.a Tranquil ..
- 15. Baby , hazem al jaber
- 16. (015) This Baby Is Wonderful. , Risha Ahmed (12 yrs)
- 17. Baby, Listen To My Heart! , Sylvia Chidi
- 18. To A Baby Firefly (Preschool) , C.J. Heck
- 19. Baby Brother (Children) , C.J. Heck
- 20. (904) Crack Baby , Melvina Germain
- 21. Caroline-Just Their Baby Girl , Scarlet .....
- 22. I Know A Baby, Such A Baby , Christina Georgina Rossetti
- 23. Baby Eyes. , Bernard Shaw
- 24. Baby Sitter , Robert William Service
- 25. Our New Baby (Children) , C.J. Heck
- 26. Baby , Derrick Parsee
- 27. (l) 6 (My Baby) A New Way Of Life , Renu Rakheja a.k.a Tranquil ..
- 28. # 12 Haiku Baby - Baby - Baby , A Poet Who Loves To Sing ... ..
- 29. Hush A By Baby , Anonymous English
- 30. (q) 5 (Song) Won'T You Baby? ! , Renu Rakheja a.k.a Tranquil ..
- 31. She's My $5000.00 Dollar Baby....But She.. , Ted Sheridan
- 32. Baby Vs Adult , Sylvia Chidi
- 33. Hey Baby , Maggie Estep
- 34. Baby Love, Walk With Me , Sylvia Chidi
- 35. Nature Baby , Jaye (Julianna) Low
- 36. A Baby's First Baby , Harold L. Ellison
- 37. Our Baby Boy.... , Ravi Sathasivam
- 38. Acts On Me My Baby , Frederick Kambemba Yamusangie
- 39. (()) After The Baby , Dee Wright
- 40. The Precocious Baby - A Very True Tale , William Schwenck Gilbert
- 41. ' Baby ' , shakeita hen
- 42. Blue Baby-08 , Selena Star
- 43. My Baby Plays Music (All Night Long) , Esther Leclerc
- 44. ''Mom, Please Wash Baby Ducky! '' , Mary Nagy
- 45. A Mother Giraffe’s Baby-Kiss! , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 46. My 'Baby' Girl , Selena Star
- 47. A Baby In The Womb , cyclopseven Ram
- 48. ! Poem As Baby , Michael Shepherd
- 49. Baby , Viola Pinkosky
- 50. Happy Birthday Baby Girl...Love Mommy , Jamie Sidwell
New Baby Poems
- Boo Baby, Eric Nelson Manley Shelman
- Bues Poem #11, Kurt Philip Behm
- Mama I Am Confused About Babies!, Aisha Masha
- A Baby's Smile (Nursery Rhymes For Ch.., Rajesh Thankappan
- The Rain And My New Born Baby Daughter, Nikhil Parekh
- To Hold A Baby Is To Hold The Angel Of R.., Raymond Sawyer
- Being Someone's Wife, Danish Azam
- I Go To Work, jimmie Saltmarshall
- Our Neighbor's Baby, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Don'T You Luv Her Sadness, reinald vallejo
- carpe diem