Birthday Poems - Poems For Birthday - Stella's Birthday March 13, 1727 - Poem by Jonathan Swift | Poem Hunter
Poems about birthday. You can read the best birthday poems. Browse through all birthday poems.
Stella's Birthday March 13, 1727 - Poem by Jonathan Swift
This day, whate'er the Fates decree,
Shall still be kept with joy by me:
This day then let us not be told,
That you are sick, and I grown old;
Nor think on our approaching ills,
And talk of spectacles and pills.
To-morrow will be time enough
To hear such mortifying stuff.
Yet, since from reason may be brought
A better and more pleasing thought,
Which can, in spite of all decays,
Support a few remaining days:
From not the gravest of divines
Accept for once some serious lines.
Although we now can form no more
Long schemes of life, as heretofore;
Yet you, while time is running fast,
Can look with joy on what is past.
Were future happiness and pain
A mere contrivance of the brain,
As atheists argue, to entice
And fit their proselytes for vice;
(The only comfort they propose,
To have companions in their woes;)
Grant this the case; yet sure 'tis hard
That virtue, styl'd its own reward,
And by all sages understood
To be the chief of human good,
Should, acting, die, nor leave behind
Some lasting pleasure in the mind;
Which by remembrance will assuage
Grief, sickness, poverty, and age;
And strongly shoot a radiant dart
To shine through life's declining part.
Say, Stella, feel you no content,
Reflecting on a life well spent?
Your skilful hand employ'd to save
Despairing wretches from the grave;
And then supporting with your store
Those whom you dragg'd from death before?
So Providence on mortals waits,
Preserving what it first creates.
Your gen'rous boldness to defend
An innocent and absent friend;
That courage which can make you just
To merit humbled in the dust;
The detestation you express
For vice in all its glitt'ring dress;
That patience under torturing pain,
Where stubborn stoics would complain:
Must these like empty shadows pass,
Or forms reflected from a glass?
Or mere chimæras in the mind,
That fly, and leave no marks behind?
Does not the body thrive and grow
By food of twenty years ago?
And, had it not been still supplied,
It must a thousand times have died.
Then who with reason can maintain
That no effects of food remain?
And is not virtue in mankind
The nutriment that feeds the mind;
Upheld by each good action past,
And still continued by the last?
Then, who with reason can pretend
That all effects of virtue end?
Believe me, Stella, when you show
That true contempt for things below,
Nor prize your life for other ends,
Than merely to oblige your friends;
Your former actions claim their part,
And join to fortify your heart.
For Virtue, in her daily race,
Like Janus, bears a double face;
Looks back with joy where she has gone
And therefore goes with courage on:
She at your sickly couch will wait,
And guide you to a better state.
O then, whatever Heav'n intends,
Take pity on your pitying friends!
Nor let your ills affect your mind,
To fancy they can be unkind.
Me, surely me, you ought to spare,
Who gladly would your suff'rings share;
Or give my scrap of life to you,
And think it far beneath your due;
You, to whose care so oft I owe
That I'm alive to tell you so.
Comments about Stella's Birthday March 13, 1727 by Jonathan Swift
Poems About Birthday
- 1. A Birthday Poem , Ted Kooser
- 2. A Birthday , Christina Georgina Rossetti
- 3. Poem On His Birthday , Dylan Thomas
- 4. A Prayer For A Mother's Birthday , Henry Van Dyke
- 5. Poem For My 43rd Birthday , Charles Bukowski
- 6. Ninetieth Birthday , Ronald Stuart Thomas
- 7. Birthday, Birthday, Happy Birthday , Udiah (witness to Yah)
- 8. Happy Birthday , Sylvia Chidi
- 9. A Birthday , Aleister Crowley
- 10. The Birthday Card , Ernestine Northover
- 11. For A Thirteenth Birthday , Lisel Mueller
- 12. A Birthday Candle , Donald Justice
- 13. For K.R. On Her Sixtieth Birthday , Richard Wilbur
- 14. Ninon De Lenclos, On Her Last Birthday , Dorothy Parker
- 15. A Birthday Song. To S. G. , Sidney Lanier
- 16. To The Memory Of Mrs. Lefroy Who Died De.. , Jane Austen
- 17. Stella's Birthday March 13, 1727 , Jonathan Swift
- 18. Birthday , Robert William Service
- 19. ! A Birthday Celebration , Michael Shepherd
- 20. On His Eightieth Birthday , Walter Savage Landor
- 21. A Ninth Birthday , Algernon Charles Swinburne
- 22. A Birthday Gift , Robert Fuller Murray
- 23. Birthday , Yevgeny Yevtushenko
- 24. (dodgy Dave Tale) Happy Birthday , JoJo Bean
- 25. A Strictly Not A Poem Birthday Greeting .. , Alison Cassidy
- 26. A Happy Birthday Sonnet For Jerry , Alison Cassidy
- 27. The Celebration Of Jesus' Birthday , Helen Click Roberts
- 28. Birthday - Birthday Appreciation , Shashidhar Kumar
- 29. The Birthday Wall (Children) , C.J. Heck
- 30. A Birthday Poem , john tiong chunghoo
- 31. Nursery Rhyme For A Twenty-First Birthday , Arthur Seymour John Tessimond
- 32. A Birthday Poem For Keppel , Alison Cassidy
- 33. Happy Birthday Dad , Jim Milks
- 34. On My Birthday, July 21 , Matthew Prior
- 35. A Limerick To Esther Leclerc On Her Birt.. , Chuck Audette
- 36. An Ode To Anna Russell, On Her Birthday , Chuck Audette
- 37. February 21 - Whose Birthday Today? , Michael Shepherd
- 38. Song Composed For Washington's Birthday , Henry Timrod
- 39. A Birthday Night Out , Alison Cassidy
- 40. Happy 10th Birthday Samia , Seema Chowdhury
- 41. Happy 37th Birthday Sunny , Seema Chowdhury
- 42. I Know She'Ll Be Alright (For Chelsey's .. , Mary Nagy
- 43. Best Birthday Haiku- Birthday Cake , john tiong chunghoo
- 44. Birthday Wishes To A Physician , Lizelia Augusta Jenkins Moorer
- 45. My Daughter On Her Thirtieth Birthday , Alison Cassidy
- 46. Happy Birthday, My Dear Wife! , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 47. Happy Birthday Dad , Arfa Karim
- 48. Happy Birthday..... , Ravi Sathasivam
- 49. ! On Rilke's Birthday,2007 , Michael Shepherd
- 50. ‘happy Birthday’ My Dear Sister, Clemenc.. , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
New Birthday Poems
- Wish Me Not My Birthday, Kwenadi Thobejane
- Thats What Makes A Birthday Come Alive, Dorsey Baker
- A Day To Remember, Marcus McKinley
- Happy Birthday Special Friend, Amol Deokar
- Birthday, SylvaOnyema Uba
- Birthday Forgot, Randy McClave
- Life = Death - Volume 8 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Birthday?, RAJAT GHOSH
- Happy Birthday To Me..., Anamta Ali Pasha
- Happy Birthday To You!, Anahit Arustamyan
- carpe diem