Cat Poems - Poems For Cat - The Eagle, The Sow, And The Cat - Poem by Anne Kingsmill Finch | Poem Hunter
Poems about cat. You can read the best cat poems. Browse through all cat poems.
The Eagle, The Sow, And The Cat - Poem by Anne Kingsmill Finch
THE Queen of Birds, t'encrease the Regal Stock,
Had hatch'd her young Ones in a stately Oak,
Whose Middle-part was by a Cat possest,
And near the Root with Litter warmly drest,
A teeming Sow had made her peaceful Nest.
(Thus Palaces are cramm'd from Roof to Ground,
And Animals, as various, in them found.)
When to the Sow, who no Misfortune fear'd,
Puss with her fawning Compliments appear'd,
Rejoicing much at her Deliv'ry past,
And that she 'scap'd so well, who bred so fast.
Then every little Piglin she commends,
And likens them to all their swinish Friends;
Bestows good Wishes, but with Sighs implies,
That some dark Fears do in her Bosom rise.
Such Tempting Flesh, she cries, will Eagles spare?
Methinks, good Neighbour, you should live in Care:
Since I, who bring not forth such dainty Bits,
Tremble for my unpalatable Chits;
And had I but foreseen, the Eagle's Bed
Was in this fatal Tree to have been spread;
I sooner wou'd have kitten'd in the Road,
Than made this Place of Danger my abode.
I heard her young Ones lately cry for Pig,
And pity'd you, that were so near, and big.
In Friendship this I secretly reveal,
Lest Pettitoes shou'd make th' ensuing Meal;
Or else, perhaps, Yourself may be their aim,
For a Sow's Paps has been a Dish of Fame.
No more the sad, affrighted Mother hears,
But overturning all with boist'rous Fears,
She from her helpless Young in haste departs,
Whilst Puss ascends, to practice farther Arts.
The Anti-chamber pass'd, she scratch'd the Door;
The Eagle, ne'er alarum'd so before,
Bids her come in, and look the Cause be great,
That makes her thus disturb the Royal Seat;
Nor think, of Mice and Rats some pest'ring Tale
Shall, in excuse of Insolence, prevail.
Alas! my Gracious Lady, quoth the Cat,
I think not of such Vermin; Mouse, or Rat
To me are tasteless grown; nor dare I stir
To use my Phangs, or to expose my Fur.
A Foe intestine threatens all around,
And ev'n this lofty Structure will confound;
A Pestilential Sow, a meazel'd Pork
On the Foundation has been long at work,
Help'd by a Rabble, issu'd from her Womb,
Which she has foster'd in that lower Room;
Who now for Acorns are so madly bent,
That soon this Tree must fall, for their Content.
I wou'd have fetch'd some for th' unruly Elves;
But 'tis the Mob's delight to help Themselves:
Whilst your high Brood must with the meanest drop,
And steeper be their Fall, as next the Top;
Unless you soon to Jupiter repair,
And let him know, the Case demands his Care.
Oh! May the Trunk but stand, 'till you come back!
But hark! already sure, I hear it crack.
Away, away---The Eagle, all agast,
Soars to the Sky, nor falters in her haste:
Whilst crafty Puss, now o'er the Eyry reigns,
Replenishing her Maw with treach'rous Gains.
The Sow she plunders next, and lives alone;
The Pigs, the Eaglets, and the House her own.
Curs'd Sycophants! How wretched is the Fate
Of those, who know you not, till 'tis too late!
Comments about The Eagle, The Sow, And The Cat by Anne Kingsmill Finch
Poems About Cat
- 1. Black Cat , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 2. The Owl And The Pussy-Cat , Edward Lear
- 3. Tame Cat , Ezra Pound
- 4. A Cat , Edward Thomas
- 5. Lullaby For The Cat , Elizabeth Bishop
- 6. Poem (As The Cat) , William Carlos Williams
- 7. The Cat And The Moon , William Butler Yeats
- 8. Ode On The Death Of A Favourite Cat Drow.. , Thomas Gray
- 9. Having Slept, The Cat Gets Up , Kobayashi Issa
- 10. Pussy-Cat , Spike Milligan
- 11. For I Will Consider My Cat Jeoffry (Exce.. , Christopher Smart
- 12. Ad Lesbiam, Cat. Ep. 73 , Richard Lovelace
- 13. To Mrs Reynolds' Cat , John Keats
- 14. The Cat And The Sea , Ronald Stuart Thomas
- 15. A Cat Named Frank , Marilyn Lott
- 16. The Poem Cat , Erica Jong
- 17. The Cat Of Cats , William Brighty Rands
- 18. Cat Island , Thom Gunn
- 19. Cat , David SmithWhite
- 20. Cat Scat , Eamon Grennan
- 21. In Lesbiam Cat. Ep. 76. , Richard Lovelace
- 22. To A Cat , Algernon Charles Swinburne
- 23. The Mysterious Cat , Vachel Lindsay
- 24. A Cat , Louise Bizzari
- 25. Free Cat , Chuck Audette
- 26. Cat Among The Chickens , Nick Hilton
- 27. ! Cat Skills , Michael Shepherd
- 28. The Cat Is Free , Adeline Foster
- 29. The Young Rat And His Dam, The Cock And .. , Anne Kingsmill Finch
- 30. Cat-Pie , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 31. The Cat , Jibanananda Das
- 32. (310) Our Cat (Tiger) , Melvina Germain
- 33. My Cat , Otteri Selvakumar
- 34. No-Name The Cat , David Lewis Paget
- 35. Funny - Fat Cat , Rita El Khoury
- 36. Sister Cat , Frances Mayes
- 37. Separate Cat , Lonnie Hicks
- 38. Ask The Cat , Ben Gieske
- 39. The Cat That Came To Tea , sylvia spencer
- 40. Mistress Gurton's Cat , Mary Darby Robinson
- 41. 003: The Cat Tray , Colin Johnston
- 42. The Cat , Leo Yankevich
- 43. Who Will Bell The Cat? , Dr Kamran Haider Bukhari
- 44. The Eagle, The Sow, And The Cat , Anne Kingsmill Finch
- 45. The Cool Cat , Jasmine Aira
- 46. The Retired Cat , William Cowper
- 47. Cat Lover , Michael Philips
- 48. The Cat , Linda Ori
- 49. Cat Among The Pigeons , Herbert Nehrlich
- 50. ****paradise-Patsy The Cat , Coach Roth
New Cat Poems
- My Cat, Dorsey Baker
- The Cheshire Cat, Mary Ellen Campbell
- Cat With Nine Lives, Uche Nwanze
- Being Chased, Randy McClave
- Me Cat, Jim Young
- August, Nancy Byrd Turner
- Cats - In The Style Of Raymond Sawyer, Spock the Vegan
- The Cat On The Mat - A Children's Tune, Dr Ian Inkster
- Two Cats- A Play, Rohan Bendre
- Monoku-115 (Friend- 2), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- carpe diem