Childhood Poems - Poems For Childhood
Poems about childhood. You can read the best childhood poems. Browse through all childhood poems.
Childhood Ideogram - Poem by Larry Levis
I lay my head sideways on the desk,
My fingers interlocked under my cheekbones,
My eyes closed. It was a three-room schoolhouse,
White, with a small bell tower, an oak tree.
From where I sat, on still days, I'd watch
The oak, the prisoner of that sky, or read
The desk carved with adults' names: Marietta
Martin, Truman Finnell, Marjorie Elm;
The wood hacked or lovingly hollowed, the flies
Settling on the obsolete & built-in inkwells.
I remember, tonight, only details, how
Mrs. Avery, now gone, was standing then
In her beige dress, its quiet, gazelle print
Still dark with lines of perspiration from
The day before; how Gracie Chin had just
Shown me how to draw, with chalk, a Chinese
Ideogram. Where did she go, white thigh
With one still freckle, lost in silk?
No one would say for sure, so that I'd know,
So that all shapes, for days after, seemed
Brushstrokes in Chinese: countries on maps
That shifted, changed colors, or disappeared:
Lithuania, Prussia, Bessarabia;
The numbers four & seven; the question mark.
That year, I ate almost nothing.
I thought my parents weren't my real parents,
I thought there'd been some terrible mistake.
At recess I would sit alone, seeing
In the print of each leaf shadow, an ideogram—
Still, indecipherable, beneath the green sound
The bell still made, even after it had faded,
When the dust-covered leaves of the oak tree
Quivered, slightly, if I looked up in time.
And my father, so distant in those days,
Where did he go, that autumn, when he chose
The chaste, faint ideogram of ash, & I had
To leave him there, white bones in a puzzle
By a plum tree, the sun rising over
The Sierras? It is not Chinese, but English—
When the past tense, when you first learn to use it
As a child, throws all the verbs in the language
Into the long, flat shade of houses you
Ride past, & into town. Your father's driving.
On winter evenings, the lights would come on earlier.
People would be shopping for Christmas. Each hand,
With the one whorl of its fingerprints, with twenty
Delicate bones inside it, reaching up
To touch some bolt of cloth, or choose a gift,
A little different from any other hand.
You know how the past tense turns a sentence dark,
But leaves names, lovers, places showing through:
Gracie Chin, my father, Lithuania;
A beige dress where dark gazelles hold still?
Outside, it's snowing, cold, & a New Year.
The trees & streets are turning white.
I always thought he would come back like this.
I always thought he wouldn't dare be seen.
Comments about Childhood Ideogram by Larry Levis
Poems About Childhood
- 51. Childhood Ideogram , Larry Levis
- 52. 'A Missed Childhood' , Linda Winchell
- 53. In Childhood , Kimiko Hahn
- 54. A Childhood , Stephen Spender
- 55. Childhood , Mr. Bean
- 56. The Sour Stench Of Childhood , Mary Nagy
- 57. Childhood , Victor Osorio
- 58. My Fondest Childhood Memory , Dee Daffodil
- 59. Childhood Revisited , Arti Chopra
- 60. *poem 4 My Childhood Bestie Tmb* , SmashLey Sweetie Simons
- 61. ! Childhood Circles Around , Michael Shepherd
- 62. # Childhood Imaginations , astaldo ELVEN
- 63. Childhood Memories , Christine Kerr
- 64. Len Webster's 'Childhood Is...' , Len Webster
- 65. Happy Childhood Memories , Francis Duggan
- 66. Changing Your Life In Childhood(For Mich.. , Dónall Dempsey
- 67. Childhood Memories , dr. ram sharma
- 68. Jesus Of My Childhood , Uriah Hamilton
- 69. My Childhood , Kiera R Lewis
- 70. Childhood Pain , Yassar Ali
- 71. Childhood , Pali Girl S...
- 72. I Am A Lot Wiser Now Than In My Childhood , Aldo Kraas
- 73. Return My Childhood , S.D. TIWARI
- 74. I Look Through My Childhood , Savio Antonio Vogt
- 75. A Childhood Lesson , Pete Crowther
- 76. My Innocent Childhood , Zeya Mallick
- 77. Childhood , Ananth Patri
- 78. A Place From Our Childhood , David Harris
- 79. Childhood At The County Fair , Walterrean Salley
- 80. Childhood Happiness. , DICKSON MSETI
- 81. Childhood For Sale , Amy Marie
- 82. Stolen Childhood , Lail Reveal
- 83. Death Of A Childhood , Mary Nagy
- 84. Dad's Childhood. , Gillian.E. Shaw
- 85. Childhood Is Calling , Jim Milks
- 86. Flashes From Childhood 1. The Clydesdales. , Margery Rehman
- 87. Childhood Friend , Raihana Abdul Jabbar
- 88. Childhood Memories , Mandy Lee
- 89. As Childhood Passed , Old Teenage Poems
- 90. Sonnet: My Childhood , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 91. Childhood , Edna Jacques
- 92. Sonnet: My Childhood Reminiscences , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 93. My Childhood Memories , David Harris
- 94. Flashes From Childhood 2.; The Lamplight.. , Margery Rehman
- 95. Childhood Memories One: Great Spirit Of .. , Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- 96. My Childhood Friend , Theresa Ann Moore
- 97. Dwindling Childhood , jerry hughes
- 98. Terms Of Childhood , Frank Bana
- 99. Childhood Memories Of Nottingham , Jonathan Goldman a.k.a JGthe ..
- 100. Childhood (By Rilke) Translation , Herbert Nehrlich
New Childhood Poems
- Come Wander In Your Innocent Past, Kshitij Singh
- Drifting Beyond The Clouds, shirani ibrahim
- The Strength Of Childhood Is For Ever , Nero CaroZiv
- Childhood, maas weerabangsa
- I Miss My Childhood Days, YYY YYY
- Childhood, Laura arwen
- Life = Death - Volume 5 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Monoku- -176 (Childhood Recollection), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- Monoku- - 166 ( Childhood- -8), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- Monoku- - 165 ( Childhood- -7), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- carpe diem